Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 43 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 91 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 95 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 103 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 114 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 118 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 126 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 195 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 402 Strict Standards: Declaration of vB_Database_MySQLi::db_connect() should be compatible with vB_Database::db_connect($servername, $port, $username, $password, $usepconnect) in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1106 Strict Standards: Declaration of vB_Database_MySQLi::select_db_wrapper() should be compatible with vB_Database::select_db_wrapper($database = '', $link = NULL) in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1106 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 2330 Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1505 Strict Standards: Non-static method vB_Session::fetch_substr_ip() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1589 Strict Standards: Non-static method vB_Shutdown::init() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 2333 "A Still Small Voice" by Fr. Groeschel [Archive] - CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group

PDA

View Full Version : "A Still Small Voice" by Fr. Groeschel

mariateresa
17th July 2007, 02:59 AM
I am almost halfway through the book, "A Still Small Voice: A Practical Guide On Reported Revelations" by Fr. Benedict Groeschel. I have found it to be extremely helpful in understanding private revelations.

Ron Conte
17th July 2007, 12:18 PM
I'm not familiar with his work. What is he saying?

mariateresa
17th July 2007, 08:45 PM
I'm not familiar with his work. What is he saying?

Hi Ron,

The back of the book reads, "Fr. Benedict Groeschel, author, psychologist, spiritual director and leader of renewal in the religious life, has written a brief but comprehensive practical guide for all those interested in private revelations, the reports of visions and other extraordinary religious phenomena that is so widespread in these times. Because of the intense interest in extraordinary religious experience that ranges from Medjugorje to the New Age, Fr. Groeschel's book is an urgently needed resource that gives practical norms for everyone on how to evaluate these claims. Drawing on spiritual classics and Church documents not widely available, he summarizes the Church's perennial wisdom on this topic.
"He also offers an alternative to unusual and extraordinary ways of knowing the things of God which is a normal everyday opportunity open to all called 'religious experience' - the action of grace operating in the context of human life that can become a powerful source of virtue and holiness. Fr. Groeschel skillfully directs the reader to the more humble and safer path which discerns God's presence in prayer, scripture, the sacraments and love of neighbor. The great example of this path to holiness is St. Therese of Lisieux who, though having very few extraordinary experiences, was filled with a profound awareness of God's presence and stated, 'To ecstasy, I prefer the monotony of sacrifice.' "

Here are the Contents:
Acknowledgement
Introduction
1. Private Revelations in This Day and Age
2. Keeping a Perspective
3. Truth and Private Revelations
4. The Scope of Private Revelations
5. Revelations-Authentic, Questionable, False, and Fake
6. Sources of Error in Private Revelations
7. False Revelations-A Sympathetic View
8. Dealing Sensibly with an Alleged Private Revelation
9. Guidelines for Spiritual Directors
10. A Word to Those Who Think They Have Received a Revelation
11. A Safer Way-Religious Experience
Glossary of Terms
Addendum: On A Course in Miracles

RJP2006
17th July 2007, 08:50 PM
He's as good as it gets - in line with teaching and very relevant. I read one of his books on discernment and it was very helpful.

In person, he is a total riot, really funny. The stories he has are limitless and near gut-busting.

mariateresa
17th July 2007, 09:11 PM
He's as good as it gets - in line with teaching and very relevant. I read one of his books on discernment and it was very helpful.

In person, he is a total riot, really funny. The stories he has are limitless and near gut-busting.

Oh, I know what you're saying! I love Fr. Groeschel! I'm really glad he survived that awful accident not too long ago!