PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Image of Mary

garabandalg
5th October 2007, 01:15 PM
Below is a link to a beautiful image of Mary drawn by a mystic whose hand was guided by Mary herself.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/rafaelmarie/ThePieta/hhailmarygold.html

Justin Angel
5th October 2007, 01:34 PM
Below is a link to a beautiful image of Mary drawn by a mystic whose hand was guided by Mary herself.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/rafaelmarie/ThePieta/hhailmarygold.html

Beautiful indeed! Thanks for sharing this with us.

J.A.
Pax vobiscum :cool:

Brother
5th October 2007, 02:51 PM
Inspired and beautiful indeed. I think it's pretty close of how Mary would have looked like.

I think God will inspire more artist to rebuild His Temple just as He has inspired or gave talents to the artists who built His Ark and the Vatican (Michelangelo, Raphael among others), those paintings and sculptures are real masterpieces.

Ron Conte
5th October 2007, 03:09 PM
The website which has that image is one which promotes false private revelations. The 'mystic' who drew the image is not identified. So it is a mistake to assume that this mystic, the image, and the claimed blessings
are genuine. We should neither be too skeptical, nor too gulible, in
believing what we are told is a mystical revelation.

Please do not post such claims in this group if the mystic or the
source of a claimed private revelation is not identified.

JuanLuis
5th October 2007, 05:03 PM
Our Lady of Guadalupe is the closest we have to how Mary looks, ofcourse She is white.

garabandalg
6th October 2007, 04:31 PM
The website which has that image is one which promotes false private revelations. The 'mystic' who drew the image is not identified. So it is a mistake to assume that this mystic, the image, and the claimed blessings
are genuine. We should neither be too skeptical, nor too gulible, in
believing what we are told is a mystical revelation.

Please do not post such claims in this group if the mystic or the
source of a claimed private revelation is not identified.

Ron, what do you think of the Pieta Prayer Book?

Now my question: I can understand testimony that makes some claim about the faith, doctrine etc. I can also understand a painting or drawing that somehow mocks or defames Our Lady. If someone drew this image and said "this is how Mary could have looked" would there be a problem? If we saw this image drawn by an unknown artist and said to ourselves, "this is how Mary could have looked", would there be a problem? If there is a problem, then I guess it is that it was drawn by some unidentified person who it is claimed is a mystic and that this person's hand was guided by Our Lady. I once read that if a person believes in The Shroud of Turin and it turns out to be a fake, that person's belief and faith are still rewarded. LIkewise, what is the harm if someone should look at this image and say, "Perhaps this is what My Heavenly Mother looks like" and leave it at that?

Ron Conte
6th October 2007, 04:57 PM
The problem is not the image itself, or the claim that Mary may have looked much like that image. The problem is the claim that the person who drew it is a mystic, and that person is not identified. I suspect that the author of that website, who I know supports at least one false visionary, is referring to one or another false visionary. Thus he promotes a false mystic under the pretext of devotion to an image of Mary.

I'm not familiar with the Pieta prayer book.

Padraig
6th October 2007, 05:16 PM
Matthew 7:18

"A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit.

Padraig
6th October 2007, 05:27 PM
Saint Bernadette Soubirous was often approached by artists and sculptors who showed her statues and renditions of Our Lady drawn from her very detailed a description of Mary at Lourdes. She was very unhappy with them all even the one she very reluctantly acccepted that stands at the Massabielle. Its the same thing at other apparition sites, including Fatima where I understand Sister Lucia was very unhappy with the very, very beautiful Fatima traditional Marian statue.

However curiously before she died there was ONE painting an impressionist one done by a French artist , a curious white blurred yet beautiful thing. Impressionism is , as I understand it a looking at something and rendering it as it feels or impresses itself on you. So I can see how this might be so, for the light, the incredible beauty of Mary is the light of the Holy Spirit.

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/france/images/lourdes/grotto/our-lady2-cc-tentencents.jpg

http://ourladyoflourdescatholicgifts.com/FatimaPicture.jpg

garabandalg
6th October 2007, 05:30 PM
The problem is not the image itself, or the claim that Mary may have looked much like that image. The problem is the claim that the person who drew it is a mystic, and that person is not identified. I suspect that the author of that website, who I know supports at least one false visionary, is referring to one or another false visionary. Thus he promotes a false mystic under the pretext of devotion to an image of Mary.

I'm not familiar with the Pieta prayer book.

Here is my point. That image was obtained from the Pieta Prayer Book which is one of the most beautiful prayer books I have ever read. That book contains the 15 St. Bridget Prayers and other lovely orations. That image has been in that book for many years ( surely over 15 years). The website you mention merely copied the image from the Pieta Prayer Book. Now, if the Pieta Prayer book has the 15 St. Bridget Prayers, which are proven to come from Divine Revelation through a Saint, then what could be wrong with a simple image contained only a few pages away in the same book. The author of that website is not trying to use this image to promote any false visionary since he merely copied the image from the Pieta Prayer Book and both that book and this image have nothing to do with any false visionary nor do they ever mention any visionary. I think we need to take a step back and not jump to conclusions about things just because they are contained in a site we do not like. Judge the item, look at it with discerning eyes, but do not throw everything out just because it is contained in a false site. If that same site decided to include links to this site, would that render this site inappropriate or questionable? I would hope not, as we must judge each item on its own merit and with discerning eyes and not lump things together by mere association without all the facts.

garabandalg
6th October 2007, 05:34 PM
Matthew 7:18

"A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit.

I am not sure, Padraig, what you mean by this wise quote but, if I suspect, you may be asking if a beautiful image of Our Lady is shown, and does no harm to our impression of Her but merely stands to give us an impression of Her simple beauty and quiet holiness, the power and message of that image should not be held hostage to the authenticitiy or reliability of any site that wishes to publish it. I hope I have come close to your intent. G

Ron Conte
6th October 2007, 05:37 PM
Do you know which mystic drew the image?
If not, then I'd advise caution.

Again, I see nothing wrong with the image itself.

The website in question promotes some false visionaries.

garabandalg
6th October 2007, 08:20 PM
Perhaps we can just view the image as a possible representation of Our Lady and, of course, I agree that we have to look with caution at all that comes across our plates these days.

I think we need to walk a careful tightrope between being gullible and cynical. That tightrope is Christ, who wants us to believe but not be easily deceived.

This is why I have always felt, as I wrote in this site a while ago, that St. Thomas gets a bad rap. Christ did not rebuke his doubt, I believe. He merely admonished him to give a little more rope to faith over doubt. Many portray Thomas as some arrogant fool with no faith at all. In my humble opinion, this is an extreme and inaccurate portrayal of a noble saint.

Ron Conte
6th October 2007, 08:22 PM
I bought a copy of the Pieta Prayer book today.
It is a useful resource for Catholics.
I have no objection to the image.

I was cautioned by the site the image was on.

Joey
7th October 2007, 02:29 AM
Ron, Gabriel, et al,

The Pieta prayerbook is a staple for me and I am happy to see this issue of the image of Mary,and all that has been swirling around it, resolved. She certainly has been portrayed in so many different ways. Some I think are extraordinarily beautiful; others I don't like whatsoever. In school, when I use the Children's Bible or books on the lives of the saints to teach lessons, my students are constantly reminded that the artist's illustrations are only an interpretation from the mind of the artist. Our Lady's beauty will never be captured by paint, nor stone sculpture, nor any other medium. We have little glimpses, but ultimately, human recreation of Her glory will always fall short.
Padraig, how would you paint her? Is her image embazened on your heart and in your mind?

Padraig
7th October 2007, 01:53 PM
I think the closest images I have seen are of Our Lady of Fatima, Knock and Gudalupe, Gudalupe most of all. However the outer showing is only a small thing compared to the intense and overwhelming impressions of immense holiness, majesty and motherness. You realise to your astonishment that Mary REALLY IS your mother, its not just a phrases. She knows all about you, bad things and all and still loves you in a personal knowing way. Also one thing I noticed that I never heard anyone else comment on was that she found me funny and amusing, that well she liked me. I found this very,very touching, her smile is to die for.

I always hope in heaven to get to see her again, even if it is a million miles away and once ever billion hears my heart will be happier than the greatest angels. Ah only to see her again, my eyes fill with tears at the thought; Holy Mary!!! Mother of God!! Our life, our sweetness and our hope, be with us at the hour of death and shelter us from the foe, Amen.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/AGF/8754~Our-Lady-of-Guadalupe-with-Mexican-Flag-Posters.jpg

Joey
8th October 2007, 03:08 AM
Ah, Padraig, I knew that you could help with this 'image' situation. It's NOT so much her look, but the whole wonderful envelope of her never-ending motherliness. Thank you.

PS - You ARE funny and a mother would spot that straight on.

Padraig
8th October 2007, 05:44 AM
I think Joey its like if you look at the regular mass goers at your local Church. A lot of them look very ordinary and maybe a little frazzled looking. However look at them with the eyes of faith and you see great warriors of Christ shinning and beautiful. I never tire at looking at my fellow mass goers, I think they are very wonderful, on their hearts rests the fate of our world.

Ron Conte
8th October 2007, 01:46 PM
Notice that Our Lady of Guadalupe looks like a native of that region. I think that a glorified body can change its appearances according to the will of the glorified soul. So Our Lady can take the form of any ethnic group on earth.

garabandalg
8th October 2007, 01:59 PM
I bought a copy of the Pieta Prayer book today.
It is a useful resource for Catholics.
I have no objection to the image.

I was cautioned by the site the image was on.

Thank you, Ron. I am glad you like the book. It is a wonderful resource. I also want to thank you for not only being a mentor to all of us here but also open to looking at things our way when possible. Not to get corny, but I think you have been chosen for this task and we have been chosen to be here with you. Our Mother Mary must be smiling at all this fuss over Her appearance. Do any of you know the story about Her voice at Garabandal? If not, I will be happy to post it.

garabandalg
8th October 2007, 02:04 PM
Notice that Our Lady of Guadalupe looks like a native of that region. I think that a glorified body can change its appearances according to the will of the glorified soul. So Our Lady can take the form of any ethnic group on earth.

At Garabandal She showed Herself to be the most loving, caring, interested and sympathetic Mother we could ever have. Just note how the priest who died after being included in the vision described Her so lovingly.

We could not have a more beautiful and caring Mother, inside and out. The mere fact that She loves us so much while we do not deserve such love should spur us to do whatever we can to be with Her for all eternity.

Justin Angel
8th October 2007, 03:22 PM

That is so true, Ron. For Mary is the Mother of all of us.

Lee
9th October 2007, 05:59 PM
I have the Pieta Book and carry it always with me to mass to say prayers and to "peek" at Our Mother's Picture therein. I have looked at it so many times and touched it and kissed it that the original look is fading and lipstick and soft smudges have replaced it. I've opened to her picture many times and tears overflow my eyes, sometimes without warning, sometimes unstoppable. Now I just "peek" at it, because I never know what will become of me, especially in public!
Lee