Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 43 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 91 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 95 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 103 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 114 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 118 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 126 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 195 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 402 Strict Standards: Declaration of vB_Database_MySQLi::db_connect() should be compatible with vB_Database::db_connect($servername, $port, $username, $password, $usepconnect) in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1106 Strict Standards: Declaration of vB_Database_MySQLi::select_db_wrapper() should be compatible with vB_Database::select_db_wrapper($database = '', $link = NULL) in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1106 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 2330 Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1505 Strict Standards: Non-static method vB_Session::fetch_substr_ip() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1589 Strict Standards: Non-static method vB_Shutdown::init() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 2333 Shay and the Baseball Team [Archive] - CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group

PDA

View Full Version : Shay and the Baseball Team

Padraig
9th October 2007, 09:17 PM
I read a fine story at Church tonight at mass I'd like to share with you.

A father addressed a PTA meeting at his school and asked the following question, 'If all people are meant to live up to their full human potential then how could my learning challenged son , Shay have done so??' The place went quiet and he then told the following story:

'One day my son and I were going home and we passed two teams of kids playing baseball. Shay wanted to join in and I, knowing kids did not really want a child like Shay about asked with a sinking heart if Shay could join in. To my surprise one of the kids said he could not only join their team but they would let him play a bat at the last go.

Shay played fielder and the ball rarely came near him but he was so happy to be playing on the team. Shays team was losing by one and it did not look likely they would win. I did not think they would let Shay bat but they did. It was obvious from the way he held the bat that he did not know how do use it. The pitcher through the ball and Shay swung wildly and missed it. Next time the pitcher through the ball very gently and my son was able to hit it far down the field. Then both teams and all on the stands started shouting encouraging Shay to run. Every one you could see doing field threw the ball wide so Shay could make the home run. His team won and the place went wild for Shay He was so proud of doing this with me watching. Even more proud later when he went home and told his mother.

My son Shay died later that winter but the game taught me that it is possible to make others bigger when we let ourselves become a little smaller'.

I am repeating the story from memory but I thought it a very beautiful one.

http://www.sciam.com/media/externalnews/2007-10-02T153231Z_01_NOOTR_RTRIDSP_2_TECH-BASEBALL-MEDIALINK-DC.jpg

MarieMarie
10th October 2007, 12:00 AM
That story is SO sweet! Thank you!

I have an autistic nephew...now and then other children will help him feel a part of something he may or may not do well.

He's an amazing piano player at 13 years old (started lessons 2 years ago and learns by ear). He changes the ending of various songs and it sounds better than the original!
He'll be an altar boy at our parish soon....he's not afraid at all, and he's excellent with timing. (In the pew, he'll point out when Father or someone else is not spot on....hahaha.)