Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 43 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 91 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 95 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 103 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 114 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 118 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 126 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 195 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/init.php on line 402 Strict Standards: Declaration of vB_Database_MySQLi::db_connect() should be compatible with vB_Database::db_connect($servername, $port, $username, $password, $usepconnect) in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1106 Strict Standards: Declaration of vB_Database_MySQLi::select_db_wrapper() should be compatible with vB_Database::select_db_wrapper($database = '', $link = NULL) in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1106 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 2330 Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1505 Strict Standards: Non-static method vB_Session::fetch_substr_ip() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1589 Strict Standards: Non-static method vB_Shutdown::init() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/ronconte/catholicplanet.net/html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 2333 2012 [Archive] - CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group

PDA

View Full Version : 2012

mort
13th October 2008, 10:18 PM
There is a lot of talk about the year 2012 in popular books and tv shows. I'm wondering what you guys make of all the hype surrounding this date?

Shane
13th October 2008, 10:39 PM
Much of the 2012 speculations hinge around the Mayan calendar, which ends on December 23rd 2012. At about 11am GMT that morning, the sun will eclipse the centre of our Milky Way galaxy, a relatively rare cosmic event. But many enthusiastists have took this to believe that something will happen to the world on that date, and the most common perception is that some kind of 'shift of consciousness' would occur, that would apparently enable humans to become psychic and read minds and so on.

There are other various prophecies which point to 2012 but in truth all of them are not much more than collective speculation. Be wary of people or sites spouting '2012' prophecies or such; for there is nothing to support these claims. It is often an easy target for the media, particularly the internet, due to its prophetic nature.

It is interesting to note that no such phenomenon (cosmic consciousness shift etc.) is predicted to occur in that year, according to Ron's timeline.

Ron Conte
13th October 2008, 10:45 PM
I don't think that even the Mayans ever expected anything to happen on that day. It is merely the end point of their calendar system. This claim is similar to the Y2K claims, which also involved a coincidental end point in a system of keeping track of time.

There is no indication in Catholic eschatology of any event on that date.

Nandy
26th January 2009, 10:00 AM
Yes, I have heard about the 2012 event by the Mayans, also. Apparently it is supposedly the end.. I was watching a TV program on the National Geographic (Discovery channel) that talked about the Mayas. The Mayan calendar apparently goes up to 2012--and it ends there.

Question: even though it is the end of the Mayan calendar as we know it--the Mayas were fairly accurate--I've heard of an event happening in 2012, such as an asteroid or comet or something like that, hitting our earth....?

Ron Conte
26th January 2009, 11:48 AM
No, the end of the Mayan calendar is not the end of the world, nor is that day 21 December 2012 the date of a cataclysmic event. It is merely the last day of the calendar system used by the Mayans.

In my study of Catholic eschatology, I've never run across any prediction by any Saint or Blessed or mystic of visionary for that day. Nothing in particular happens on that day.

gateKeeper
3rd September 2009, 06:40 PM
Ron,

What is your take on Jack Kelley's recent blog on Spirit Daily about 2012? He does give a very convincing take on the subject:

http://bible-prophecy-today.blogspot.com/2009/08/2012-end-of-world.html

thoughts?

Shane
3rd September 2009, 11:00 PM
This quote is incorrect:

In December 2012 the Sun will reach the exact center of the Milky Way Galaxy, as the Mayans predicted, with all the planets lined up in their orbits behind it, like little chicks behind their mother.

The sun will NOT 'reach' the center of the galaxy, but will merely eclipse the centre (constellation of Saggitarius) on that day, from the earth's point of view. On the contrary, our solar system lies towards the outer edges of the galaxy, and not at its centre.

RE: Planet X
Those who advocate for its existence say itís been privately tracked by NASA since the 1980ís and both the New York Times and the Washington Post have speculated about its appearance in the sky.

I own and regularly use a telescope. If it existed, I and hundreds of thousands of amateur astronomers around the world would have noticed it by now, since such a conspicuous object could not possible escape detection if it were near our solar system. So, no planet X.

Ron Conte
4th September 2009, 11:35 AM
Ron,

What is your take on Jack Kelley's recent blog on Spirit Daily about 2012? He does give a very convincing take on the subject:

http://bible-prophecy-today.blogspot.com/2009/08/2012-end-of-world.html

thoughts?

That blog post is both poor science and poor eschatology. It is not even worth commenting further.