PDA

View Full Version : Holy Week DO's and DONT's

TheGiftOfLife
18th March 2009, 11:00 PM
Ron, I have some questions about Holy Week. I want to start with what I know and please tell me where I am incorrect.

=======
Holy Thursday - No restrictions on anything as far as Church Practices.
Good Friday - No mass, No exposition/adoration, No Confession
Holy Saturday - No mass, No exposition/adoration, No Confession (Vigil Mass ok)
=======

I know someone who says they are getting married in a Catholic Church on Good Friday....Can this be possible? my gut tells me no!

Also please let me know if any other sacraments are not allowed on Good Friday and/or holy Saturday. I assume last rights is ok but comment on receiving 1st holy communion, reconciliation, baptism (which i think should be ok), priesthood and marriage.
Thanks
John

Shane
18th March 2009, 11:16 PM
Interestingly enough, Conchita of Garabandal has said in an interview that the best place to be at the time of the Warning would be before the Blessed Sacrament in a church, but since it will happen on Good Friday, the tabernacle is usually left open and empty until the Easter Saturday Vigil. During the 3pm passion service there is a communion ceremony (not a Mass). I don't know if the ciboriums are returned to the tabernacle after those communion ceremonies; I don't think they are.

On Holy Thursday night, from the Gloria, no bell is rung until the Easter services.

The Holy Water also goes missing for some reason during lent!

Ron Conte
19th March 2009, 12:20 AM
All the Sacraments would be valid on any day of the year. However, it is appropriate (except for a grave reason) to celebrate each Sacrament at its proper time.

I've never heard of a marriage being celebrated on Good Friday, and this should not be permitted except for a grave reason (I cannot think of one that would apply). Good Friday is a day of sorrow over sin and the sufferings of Christ for sin. It is not a fitting day for a marriage celebration.

It is probably illicit for them to be married on that day.

Also please let me know if any other sacraments are not allowed on Good Friday and/or holy Saturday. I assume last rights is ok but comment on receiving 1st holy communion, reconciliation, baptism (which i think should be ok), priesthood and marriage.

It is preferred to celebrate certain Sacraments at certain times in the liturgical year. But all the Sacraments are valid at any time.

CP33mercynow
19th March 2009, 02:25 AM
The fact that tradionally there's an empty Eucharistic tabernacle on Good Friday seems to me to be more of a mere coincidence. I think this fact will make our sorrow of our sins of abandoning Christ really present in the Holy Eucharist more poignant, more deeply felt almost as if on that day we were left alone because when won't have the possibility to go in front of the Blessed Sacrament and beg forgiveness. After all He has not abandoned us. It is us that have ignored and abandoned him. This calls to mind what a P. Pio promoter in India hearf a Hindu say when the Hindu was told what was the reason for catholics genuflecting before the Blessed Sacrament in a Church. The hindu commented: "Well, if He is indeed God, why do you leave Him alone in the churches?"

TheGiftOfLife
19th March 2009, 02:55 AM
Since I have been making daily Mass at 8:30AM, I thought what a better place to be than at Mass during the warning. Then I realized that there is no Mass on Good Friday. Its so appropriate that after the warning there will be no where to go for adoration or exposition. They do administer communion after the Good Friday service at 3PM but that would feel like an eternity. Im glad that we can get communion on Good Friday.

On another note:
Ron, I am making the First Friday Novena to the sacred heart and my 5 First Saturday Reparations to the Blessed Mother which coincidentally ends on April 4th.

Does Good Friday ever fall on a First Friday? If so, what happens to the First Friday Novena and First Saturday Reparations that people are making?
John

Ron Conte
19th March 2009, 12:19 PM
On another note:
Ron, I am making the First Friday Novena to the sacred heart and my 5 First Saturday Reparations to the Blessed Mother which coincidentally ends on April 4th.

Does Good Friday ever fall on a First Friday? If so, what happens to the First Friday Novena and First Saturday Reparations that people are making?
John

Yes, Good Friday is sometimes the first Friday. Persons making the first Friday and First Saturday devotions can defer those devotions from Good Friday/Holy Saturday to either the subsequent month (skipping a month), or defer them to a subsequent Friday/Saturday in the same month.