CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group

CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group (http://www.catholicplanet.net/forum/index.php)
-   Teaching Series - dogmatic theology (http://www.catholicplanet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   TS 18: Tradition (http://www.catholicplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2430)

Ron Conte 13th July 2008 01:30 PM

TS 18: Tradition

If enough members are interested, we can discuss the definition of Tradition, and how one might draw upon Tradition in order to learn truths of the Faith.

Please read this article, and pose any questions you may have:
http://www.catholicplanet.com/TSM/in...-tradition.htm

Jeanne D'Arc 13th July 2008 02:23 PM

Ron, I would be very interested. As I read the posts of everyone, I am at a loss as to how to keep up. Although I am not posting everyday I am learning and voraciously reading each and every post. I am waaaaaay behind everyone else in their understanding and comfort level. Teach on!!
Joan

Pontifex 13th July 2008 02:54 PM

I would certainly be interested as I would like to better understand the relation between oral tradition and the revealed truths in the Bible and that between the living magisterium and the inspired Scriptures.

Ron Conte 13th July 2008 03:05 PM

OK, members who are interested should read the article, then post their comments and questions.

Sacred Tradition is not an oral tradition.

Rob 13th July 2008 07:17 PM

Ron,

You have said that Tradition comes first, and Scripture second, implying that first God makes a deed, and then this is recorded in Scripture, which is generally true.
However I notice that sometimes the opposite happens, that is first a prophecy is recorded in Scripture and then the deed happens after a certain amount of time (years or centuries). For example the return of Christ is a deed for the salvation of mankind, yet this return has been already explicitly reported in Scripture, but has not happened yet. So is it correct to say that the Tradition does not always come before Scripture, at least in a chronological way? I suppose that this is true from a human perspective, but from God's point of view it's like all Tradition has occurred already.

Ron Conte 13th July 2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 18656)
Ron,

You have said that Tradition comes first, and Scripture second, implying that first God makes a deed, and then this is recorded in Scripture, which is generally true.
However I notice that sometimes the opposite happens, that is first a prophecy is recorded in Scripture and then the deed happens after a certain amount of time (years or centuries). For example the return of Christ is a deed for the salvation of mankind, yet this return has been already explicitly reported in Scripture, but has not happened yet. So is it correct to say that the Tradition does not always come before Scripture, at least in a chronological way? I suppose that this is true from a human perspective, but from God's point of view it's like all Tradition has occurred already.

Interesting point. But when a prophecy in Scripture predicts a future event, the revelation (which is itself a deed) of that prophecy to the prophet precedes its inspired writing. So it is always true that Tradition precedes Scripture, i.e. that a deed of God precedes the word of God.

I like your comment that from God's point of view, the predicted event is logically prior (even if not chronologically prior) to the prophecy of that event. God is predicting what has, from His point of view beyond time, already occurred. Also true.

Arax 13th July 2008 11:45 PM

Interesting article. As I was reading it I was reminded of a topic I would like some clarification on. Perhaps this is not the proper place to ask, but is there an existing thread on the topic "Outside the Church there is no salvation"? If not I would be grateful to see one started.

I have always thought of this as something like, "without" the Church, or "except for" the Church, since it is certainly possible for God to save someone who is not a practicing member of the Catholic Church. I understand that any baptized Christian is actually a member of the Church and that others can be baptized by blood or by desire, but I still don't feel entirely confident if I were asked to explain all of this.

Ron Conte 13th July 2008 11:55 PM

See this thread:
No salvation outside of the Church
http://catholicplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2413

Joey 14th July 2008 12:41 AM

My understanding of Sacred Tradition was way off. I did have the false notion that it was nothing more than oral or unwritten truths of Divine Revelation. But your article made it so clear that anything oral would eventually become something written, otherwise it would become distorted after being told and retold. "Deeds wrought by God for the salvation history of mankind." I love the use of repetition in your articles and books because it sinks in that way. Deeds of God, with more to come, adding to our deposit of Faith, adding to Sacred Scripture by way of the Third Testament.

Arax 14th July 2008 02:30 AM

Ron,

Thanks for pointing me towards that information. It was very helpful.

Julie