CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group

CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group (http://www.catholicplanet.net/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Preparations (http://www.catholicplanet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   The Approaching Famine (http://www.catholicplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5371)

Ron Conte 6th September 2012 05:18 PM

The Approaching Famine

The Book of Revelation predicts famine as one of the early events of the tribulation.

{6:5} And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature saying: “Draw near and see.” And behold, a black horse. And he who was sitting upon it was holding a balance in his hand.
{6:6} And I heard something like a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, “A double measure of wheat for a denarius, and three double measures of barley for a denarius, but do no harm to wine and oil.”

my post on the third Seal

It looks like the famine is very near. I have been saying, for some time now, that mid-2013 would see the start of the famine. That looks to be correct. We should be at war with Iran by then, which will adversely affect an already weakened and faltering economy. And the 2012 drought is projected to affect food prices in many nations by mid 2013.

Preparations: storing some food, at least 30 days worth of food, including vegetable oil (dietary fat), rice, sugar, pasta, dried legumes, nuts, seeds, etc. (protein and carbs). Also, you should have enough gallons of bottled water for 2 weeks for your family, at 1 gallon per person per day.

For other preparations, see my book:
Apocalypse Survival Guide for Christians

Jose 6th September 2012 10:29 PM

Food for Thought

Hormel products have indefinite shelf life if stored properly. The freeze dried food can be expensive. Spam has doubled in price the last 3 years at ther Costco. The beauty of this is you can eat it if nothing happens or donate to charity or food bank.

Ron Conte 6th September 2012 11:36 PM

my food storage list:

pasta, white
Kraft mac and cheese
potato, instant mashed
oatmeal, instant flavored
couscous
rice, long grain white
quick barley
candy, sugar based
crackers
raisins
sunflower seeds
milk, instant non-fat dry
peanut butter
dry soup mix
Ramen, premium
soynuts
granulated sugar
canola or soybean oil

Dan A 7th September 2012 02:49 AM

What is good about Ron's list above is that you can ignore the expiration dates stamped on most of the packages. The dried milk and the oatmeal last for many years way past the stamped on expiration date.

Pontifex 7th September 2012 03:51 AM

I have also started my family's food storage about a month ago...I am starting to feel like those characters on the TV reality-show 'Doomseday Preppers'...:)

TheGiftOfLife 7th September 2012 04:25 AM

Also to purchase books on how to survive in the wild, how to forage , hunt, purify water, etc. Food storage can only last so long. If you live in a big city i recommend leaving when food no longer is coming into the city. You gotta think big picture.

Ron Conte 7th September 2012 12:11 PM

I've been reading a number of (secular) prepping-type blogs. There is a lot of good information out their. Just google search terms like:
survival blogs
prepping blogs
emergency preparedness
and similar terms

GCMfriend 7th September 2012 01:31 PM

Ron, what's the best way to store canola oil without refrigeration? Doesn't it go rancid after a short amount of time?

Ron Conte 7th September 2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCMfriend (Post 40936)
Ron, what's the best way to store canola oil without refrigeration? Doesn't it go rancid after a short amount of time?

No. Refined vegetable oil will keep up to 2 years without refrigeration.

tapinu33 9th September 2012 08:41 PM

My father in law told me that they would never have survived the Depression if it wasn't for their family milk cow. They moved from the city to the country and raised chickens and a milk cow.
I am increasing my chickens to 18 this next month and have been researching information on getting a milk cow. I am looking at getting a jersey cow so I can make quality cheeses. As well as an older child I have 2 toddlers and want to keep them as healthy as possible in the times ahead of us all. Also it helps to feed others in need. I have horses already but the commitment to a cow is huge as they have to be milked twice a day. My husband wants us to wait for as long as possible before getting one.
We must all prepare each to our own needs and situations.
God Bless.

Ron Conte 9th September 2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tapinu33 (Post 40943)
My father in law told me that they would never have survived the Depression if it wasn't for their family milk cow. They moved from the city to the country and raised chickens and a milk cow.
I am increasing my chickens to 18 this next month and have been researching information on getting a milk cow. I am looking at getting a jersey cow so I can make quality cheeses. As well as an older child I have 2 toddlers and want to keep them as healthy as possible in the times ahead of us all. Also it helps to feed others in need. I have horses already but the commitment to a cow is huge as they have to be milked twice a day. My husband wants us to wait for as long as possible before getting one.
We must all prepare each to our own needs and situations.
God Bless.

Do you have enough land to grow some crops?
It's also possible to plant fruit trees, or nut trees, for some additional sources of food.

Frado 9th September 2012 10:42 PM

Speaking of garden and fruit trees, I live on 1 1/2 acres of land. My wife and I have a large garden, rasberry/strawberry plants, peach, apple, pear and cherry trees and also have grapes.

This years garden produced green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, onions, potatoes, basil, beets, carrots, cucumbers and lettuce.

Usually we get a decent amount of fruit every year but do to frost this year it destroyed flowering buds.

We also have chickens that produce eggs and we are going to purchase meat birds.

Whatever is going to happen in our future as Catholics we must all remember those famous words that Our Precious Lord Jesus spoke to Peter, "And the Gates of hell shall not PREVAIL".

Let us call upon Saint Michael The Arc Angel Every Day in Prayer to Defend us from the snares and wickedness of the devil, AMEN

Frado

tapinu33 10th September 2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Conte (Post 40944)
Do you have enough land to grow some crops?
It's also possible to plant fruit trees, or nut trees, for some additional sources of food.

Yes thank you Ron. Your book helped me tremendously!! I already grow vegetables. Broccoli, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, etc and a herb garden. We have 10 acres on the piece that we live on. I don't have fruit trees. We are trying to sell this piece of property and I understand fruit trees take a few years to establish. My father in law has apple, plum and pear trees. In fact I just spent the past few days peeling about 80 apples and freezing them.
Plum jam is my next job at the end of the week.
I grew 3 large sunflowers this year to see If I could successfully press the seeds for sunflower oil, I am hopeful. (I took this idea from Ron's book - Apocalypse Suvival Guide)
I looked into buying wheat berries and grinding them into flour. Apparently wheat berries shelf life is unlimited.
Your book Ron opened up a whole new world for me. ( smiles)
I will look into growing nuts. Has anyone been successful growing a lemon tree
indoors? I live in the pacific NW so we have a limited growing season.
Blessings

CP33mercynow 28th October 2012 04:56 AM

This prepping seems to be practical and wise. On the other hand, there's just on nagging thought: regardless of how much preparation we do or how many long lasting supplies we store up, if God's will is that we perish, all the prepping in the world won't help. This reminds of the old lady in the Old Testament whose jar of oil kep filling up. It is wise and practical to prepp, but we may perhaps want to keep well in mind that we must not mistrust God's infinite mercy and providence. If it is His Holy Will that any of us survive the First Tribulation, He'll provide the means. Just a thought. May God's Infinite Mercy continue to shine and touch the Hearts/Minds of countless millions as the Great Apostacy increases in practice.

tapinu33 28th October 2012 05:38 AM

I think about this too!! I think God is calling me to prepare and should my life and that of my family's be taken then God will see that my preparation food will go to those of his choice. Others will take and survive so we are helping others for the future if we are no longer here.
Blessings

Joey 28th October 2012 04:59 PM

Tapinu33...........my thoughts exactly! Perhaps what we have stored is really meant for others. Trusting in God's wisdom and providence, here.

Dan A 28th October 2012 09:40 PM

I have done a lot to prepare. Is it enough? I don't think so but I have done what I can do. I will share this though.

In the course of preparing, I acquired secure storage and packed it full of potentially needed items. I was then gone for a few days and when I came back, I was eager to open it up and enjoy the feeling of what I had accomplished. As soon as I had the thought of looking at my work I immediately had a very strong thought (almost a voice) that said "It is for others."

I did not open it up then and when I do (as I have to do to move stuff around) it is always with the thought that I am preparing for others.

jeromeindesert 4th April 2013 05:45 AM

gasoline shortages

there was some prophecy (i don't recall who) about people fighting over a cup of gasoline;

gas is dangerous to store;
however, it would probably be wise to keep some gas some place where it is safe and U can retrieve it in times of shortage;

i really don't know how to do this; any thoughts??:confused:

Ron Conte 4th April 2013 12:41 PM

Jerome,

Please do not cite prophecies if you don't know where they came from. There are many false prophecies in the world today.

js1975 5th April 2013 03:22 AM

Jerry,

I am not sure about storing gasoline. My thought is that I am going to buy a propane generator. It can store easily, uses the same cylinders as a propane grill, and there are not any fumes to be worried about, so I can keep them in my garage or basement. Plus, if gasoline shortages occur, propane is not under as much of a constraint.

-Jay

Brother 5th April 2013 01:40 PM

Reasonably speaking...

There will be a gasoline shortage wherever war brakes in. There was a mild storm in the NY and NJ area this past October and there was a serious gasoline shortage. I guess bikes will be on demand.

garabandalg 5th April 2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother (Post 42128)
There will be a gasoline shortage wherever war brakes in. There was a mild storm in the NY and NJ area this past October and there was a serious gasoline shortage. I guess bikes will be on demand.

The "mild storm" was a hurricane which caused millions of dollars in damage, killed many, and flooded entire towns. Just ask the people in Staten lsland and other places,where they are still recovering. That storm was called Sandy.

Brother 5th April 2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garabandalg (Post 42129)
The "mild storm" was a hurricane which caused millions of dollars in damage, killed many, and flooded entire towns. Just ask the people in Staten lsland and other places,where they are still recovering. That storm was called Sandy.

Thank you for letting me know and making me aware of those other areas. I assume it depends on the particular areas where people live, the NJ area where I do live wasn't badly affected and the winds were not as strong to be considered to be hurricane, no severe destruction reported, however, power was out in some spots and gasoline was scarce.

jeromeindesert 6th April 2013 12:55 AM

thanks

thanks Jay js1975 for the propane generator idea; is there any way to take a regular gas engine & convert it to operate on propane??

though I can't remember the citation for the prediction of ppl fighting over gasoline -------let me say this:

I saw this occur personally here in Phoenix arizona about 5 years ago, when our sole refinery went down; there were fisticuffs & "near fisticuffs" (which I personally witnessed) occurring at gas pumps as
ppl sought to fill up their vehicles & gas cans;

now we have North Korea & Russia rattling sabers; I don't think things will get better; ppl need fuel for cars & generators; its just makes sense that there will be future fuel shortages; we've had them in the past & we'll have them in the future, especially given the Medj information we've obtained;

js1975 6th April 2013 01:17 PM

Jerry,

Not sure. I know there are people out there who convert lawnmowers into propane, but not sure about vehicles. I don't know enough about engines to say for sure. It is good idea... Me personally, I have my mountain bike. I rarely ride it but who would need a gym membership when they ride a bike to work?

-Jay

jeromeindesert 6th April 2013 08:01 PM

gas to propane

jay: i have a generator that runs on gas; i'll search bing to see if I can find a way to convert it to run on propane; thanks :)

Pontifex 10th April 2013 09:30 PM

A very telling article about our bees that our dying at an increasing alarming rate. This is very concerning and is sure to have a direct impact on the famine as crops are in jeopardy without the bees doing their thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/29/sc...pagewanted=all

Sacredcello 10th April 2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontifex (Post 42151)
A very telling article about our bees that our dying at an increasing alarming rate. This is very concerning and is sure to have a direct impact on the famine as crops are in jeopardy without the bees doing their thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/29/sc...pagewanted=all

This does look rather ominous. I wonder if this is part of the reason that my attempts at gardening have not worked out so well. Though, I do see a couple of bees pollinating my dwarf lemon tree right now, so we'll see if we get lemons this year. Meanwhile, I planted some cucumber seedlings today, some in pots and barrels, others in the ground.

Anyone else growing anything?

Frado 11th April 2013 12:10 AM

What I do to attract bee's for my vegtable garden

I have various bee attracting flowers and flowering shrubs in my backyard. By having these in my backyard me and my wife produce a variety of vegtables every year.

I do agree that bees are in trouble do to mans relentless use of pesticides but one can draw them into your backyard with various flowering plants and shrubs.

Lilac, raspberries, white clematis vine and lavender to name a few are awesome for bee attracting.

I have lilac and raspberry patch in the same area of my vegtable garden. You should see when raspberries are at there peak, the bees!

So there is hope and we can all share our success stories to help one another.

Viva Christos Rey- Long Live Christ Our King!

Sacredcello 11th April 2013 05:08 AM

Good news, Frado!

I also have raspberries and blackberry vines which I planted a little over a year ago. What do you use to fertilize? The blackberry vine is sending out lots of little shoots and there are buds forming on the original. I am hopeful we might get a handful or so this year.

Pruning, I think, is a key thing, also, for many types of plants.

My Dad's secret for getting rid of snails is to go out at 5 AM or earlier while they are out and pick them all up with tongs and place them in a container in the trash. I know I'll have to deal with the snails or they will take over. But, putting them in a carton to die in the trash? Is this unethical? I know they are yucky snails, but still. Poison could be eaten by animals. We had some puppies die from eating snail poison many years ago. It was very sad. I guess you could plop them in a container of water and they would drown.

Frado 11th April 2013 03:39 PM

Sacredcello,

I don't prune any of my raspberry at all during growing season but I do prune them back just before winter.

I throw grass clippings in between raspberry rows to keep weeds down and to add some nitrogen. Water is key when growing Rasberrys also.

Last season I took my mower to my raspberry patch and mowed away. Not to worry though, raspberry are very hardy and keep returning every year, Thanks Be To Almighty GOD.

As far as snails, we don't have that problem in Michigan.

Sacredcello 11th April 2013 07:08 PM

Thanks, Frado! Good to know. I have a nice spread of "volunteer" nasturtiums this spring. Thanks be to God.

Brother 12th April 2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacredcello (Post 42154)
My Dad's secret for getting rid of snails is to go out at 5 AM or earlier while they are out and pick them all up with tongs and place them in a container in the trash. I know I'll have to deal with the snails or they will take over. But, putting them in a carton to die in the trash? Is this unethical? I know they are yucky snails, but still. Poison could be eaten by animals. We had some puppies die from eating snail poison many years ago. It was very sad. I guess you could plop them in a container of water and they would drown.

I think it's ok to kill snails the way your dad does it because of the reasons you mentioned above. Drowning them in a container full of water may be better idea so they'll die quicker.

tapinu33 27th April 2013 09:15 PM

Chicken update

My 18 chickens are now laying. We are getting 10 eggs a day so far and these chickens are so much fun. Our silkie which we called Layla is in fact a Rooster lol we changed his name to Gaylord as he is very majestic lol
I am enjoying my life being more self sufficient. It takes me away from "the World"
Blessings

Therese 6th July 2013 04:24 PM

How to Kill Snails

To get rid of snails-fill a shallow saucer with beer ,place it in the garden ,it will attract the snails & kill them.

jeromeindesert 30th September 2013 03:28 AM

stuck in city with no room to grow anything

I'm stuck in a metropolis (Phoenix) with a postage stamp sized backyard. However, I do have a 9000 gallon pool with a cover so I'll have lotsa water.

Growing won't get me much so I stick with canned goods & rotate the stock.

It would be nice if more ppl would express their opinion on the start of the famine timing.

The weather keeps getting stranger. At the first report of a bad harvest season in the USA, I'll super-stock my house with canned goods, I guess.

There are a lot of "prepper" internet sites where they sell huge containers of staples like oatmeal, etc. Unfortunately, the cost is pretty high & I know where I can get better deals locally. :neutral:

Ron Conte 30th September 2013 12:48 PM

I'm building up my stores of staple foods. I have 50 lbs of flour for making bread, 2 lbs of of yeast in the freezer, 50 lbs or more of pasta, 50 lbs of rice, several containers of vegetable oil, and quite a few other items.

I think that some food will still be available for purchase during the famine. But if you have stored sufficient protein, fat, and carbs, you should be much better off.

See my book:
Apocalypse Survival Guide for Christians
http://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Sur...dp/B004W4MLWK/

On the subject of preparing for a possible nuclear attack by Iran against the U.S., see my booklet:
Radiation Exposure Level and Effects
http://www.amazon.com/Radiation-Expo...dp/B00CQCRUOO/

tapinu33 30th September 2013 05:08 PM

Ron
I don't seem to be able to get vegetable oil with an expiration date of longer than 6 months. Do you have this problem? I do have about 6 gallons of olive oil as that seems to carry a longer shelf life but is more expensive. I too have frozen yeast and I freeze collards and Swiss chard which I grow in the summer and have about 40 ziplock bags in the freezer. I Blanche them then freeze them straight away. it costs me the price of seeds and ziplock bags. I buy frozen spinach in boxes as it is quite cheap from target. Also along with frozen fruit I have Pasta, rice,flour and sugar. I do have a lot of salt, pepper Italian seasoning, spices etc to be able to make healthy flavorful food. It will keep the spirits up!! My husband fitted extra kitchen cabinets in the garage to store all this, a lady was having a new kitchen and throwing out her old cabinets so we took them and they keep everything organized and dry. I bought a 2nd hand freezer very cheaply for the garage.
We have chickens for eggs. I feel by storing in preparation we can help out others and not have to take from store supplies which will also help others.
Also I store only what we eat so we can rotate. Many books and websites tell you to store certain foods, that we don't even eat so they will just expire if not eaten. I buy the ingredients that I cook with and eat on a normal day to day.
Thanks to your book Ron it helped me store sensibly.

Ron Conte 30th September 2013 05:16 PM

Check different stores, because I've seen vegetable oil (canola or soybean) with expiration dates of one to two years away. Of course, you can rotate the oil. It also stores well if you have a chest freezer; then it will keep indefinitely.

I store the flour, in its original paper packaging, in 5 gallon buckets, with a container of salt poured into the bottom of the bucket, under the packages of flour. I fit 5 five pound packages of flour in each bucket. The salt keeps the flour dry. I make my own bread, so the flour is something I will eventually use up.

jeromeindesert 8th October 2013 12:48 AM

what kind of flour?

Ron: what kind of flour do you use for baking bread. I've got to start
making my own bread, too. :)

also: I picked up a United States (civil preparedness type from 1960s) issued geiger counter on Amazon for about $15 or less. Its an old fashion type but detects gamma rays and works fine. Its the exact same type as is shown (in yellow) on the cover of your book regarding radiation exposure.

I highly recommend that everyone get Ron's book on radiation exposure, etc. You can get peace of mind relatively cheap. :)