CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group

CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group (http://www.catholicplanet.net/forum/index.php)
-   Theology of the Body (http://www.catholicplanet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Communion and the sin of cohabitation (http://www.catholicplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4736)

Ron Conte 6th April 2011 04:13 PM

Communion and the sin of cohabitation

Archbishop Michael Sheehan released this letter to his diocese:
April 3, 2011
Pastoral Care of Couples Who are Cohabitating
http://www.catechism.cc/pdf/Cohabita...op-Sheehan.pdf

"We have three groups of people who are living contrary to the Gospel teaching on marriage: those who cohabit; those who have a merely civil union with no previous marriage; and those who have a civil union who were married before. These people are objectively living in a state of mortal sin and may not receive Holy Communion. They are in great spiritual danger. At the best - and this is, sadly, often the case - they are ignorant of Godís plan for man and woman. At the worst, they are contemptuous of Godís commandments and His sacraments."

garabandalg 6th April 2011 05:55 PM

This "More" society illustrates that more can very easily be less...

I hope that Liz Taylor was able to reconcile herself with God before her death, but I once saw a program where she was giving marriage advice. Talk about the philosophy of quantity means quality gone wild!

One of the traits of this lost society is that quantity has become the measure of quality. Thus, more money, things, property, friends, partners, etc means I am better than you.

Facebook and Twitter prey on this desire to populate the borders of our lives with audiences as a form of superficial narcissism seeking to fill the void of sincere meaning in our lives. I was wondering if we could discuss the spiritual impact of these sites....

Centurion 6th April 2011 06:52 PM

To be very honest, I wish I had heard such a message several years ago from a Bishop or Priest. I was serving as an Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist while my (then) fiance and I married first in a civil marriage so that she would be enrolled as a military spouse, but the actual Sacrament of Marriage was not to take place for several weeks still.

It was our Parish coordinator, a devout and gentle woman, who explained to me then those details brought forth in the Bishop's recent letter. It was as though I had unwittingly put a wall up between myself and the Lord, and it is a panicked feeling.

Still, because of this gentle lady's love and honesty, I refrained from the Eucharist and tried to use the time to better prepare for the Sacrament of Marriage. In hindsight, it brought me a new appreciation for both Marriage and the Eucharist. I wonder how many other Catholics, lay or religious, would not have said anything to me for fear of "offending" me?

VKallin 7th April 2011 10:51 AM

A powerful example

This is an example of a bishop actually fullfilling his pastoral responsibilities. Why aren't all bishops following suit for the general Catholic population, and especially for the celebreties who flaunt their sins in public.

I wish I knew what my bishop's stance is on issues like these, but sadly, it does not seem to be proclaimed publicly.

Ron Conte 7th April 2011 11:17 AM

At my parish, the priests have repeatedly reminded the laity that they are not to receive Communion if they are in a state of mortal sin, and they have repeatedly preached against cohabitation, civil unions, and divorce and remarriage. But I think that most of the persons committing these offenses simply ignore those sermons.

Mary's Child 7th April 2011 01:54 PM

regarding communion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Conte (Post 36571)
At my parish, the priests have repeatedly reminded the laity that they are not to receive Communion if they are in a state of mortal sin, and they have repeatedly preached against cohabitation, civil unions, and divorce and remarriage. But I think that most of the persons committing these offenses simply ignore those sermons.

Or, more than likely, don't go to church anymore.

Mark 7th April 2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Conte (Post 36571)

Ron, do you live in a monastary? You are most fortunate to live in an area that the truth has been preserved. The real world, that most of us live in, does not have priests or bishops giving this truth. We get made up, juvenile, stories that have little/nothing to do with teaching the faith for our homilies.

Ron Conte 7th April 2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 36574)
Ron, do you live in a monastary? You are most fortunate to live in an area that the truth has been preserved. The real world, that most of us live in, does not have priests or bishops giving this truth. We get made up, juvenile, stories that have little/nothing to do with teaching the faith for our homilies.

No. My parish is an ordinary parish in my diocese. It is run by Franciscan priests under agreement with the Bishop. They wear the habit -- a long robe with a belt made of rope, and sandals. These priests are very orthodox, and some of the sermons are like a little lesson in theology.

garabandalg 7th April 2011 05:55 PM

Sorry situation indeed

It is a sad state of affairs when people might be less offensive to God when they avoid Mass than when they attend it!

ljsedivy 7th April 2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garabandalg (Post 36558)
Facebook and Twitter prey on this desire to populate the borders of our lives with audiences as a form of superficial narcissism seeking to fill the void of sincere meaning in our lives. I was wondering if we could discuss the spiritual impact of these sites....

I think that is a great idea!