View Single Post
Old 13th January 2015, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Default Opinions of the Saints vs. Magisterial Teaching

When there seems to be a conflict between the personal opinions of Saints and a Teaching that comes from the Magisterium, where should we go to? (the question itself is disobeying or “la pregunta es necia” as it’s said in Spanish).

Jesus has said:

[Matthew]
{16:18} And I say to you, that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.
…….

{7:24} Therefore, everyone who hears these words of mine and does them shall be compared to a wise man, who built his house upon the rock.
{7:25} And the rains descended, and the floods rose up, and the winds blew, and rushed upon that house, but it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
{7:26} And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them shall be like a foolish man, who built his house upon the sand.
{7:27} And the rains descended, and the floods rose up, and the winds blew, and rushed upon that house, and it did fall, and great was its ruin.”
{7:28} And it happened, when Jesus had completed these words, that the crowds were astonished at his doctrine.
{7:29} For he was teaching them as one who has authority, and not like their scribes and Pharisees.

Yet, hardened heads still go to whatever source that agree with their limited understandings when they disagree with the Pope, teaching of the Magisterium or body of Bishops in communion with the Pope.

Now that the world mourns due to acts of violence of terrorism under the guise of religious belief, it is good to remember the teaching of the Church regarding our relationship with, not only Muslims, but people of other faiths.

As Catholics, I hold that our Faith is the truest one and that all those who contradict our doctrine are in error.

However, what does the Magisterium, the Pope, and Bishops in communion with the Pope teach in regards of Islam and our relationship with them?:

3. The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth,(5) who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.

Since in the course of centuries not a few quarrels and hostilities have arisen between Christians and Moslems, this sacred synod urges all to forget the past and to work sincerely for mutual understanding and to preserve as well as to promote together for the benefit of all mankind social justice and moral welfare, as well as peace and freedom. - Nostra Aetate by Pope Paul VI
http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_c...aetate_en.html

253. Faced with disconcerting episodes of violent fundamentalism, our respect for true followers of Islam should lead us to avoid hateful generalisations, for authentic Islam and the proper reading of the Koran are opposed to every form of violence. - Evangelii Gaudium by Pope Francis

Notice the bolded statement. Do you think the Pope ignores what the Koran says in light of all if its content in order to say that declaration in a Magisterial document? Do you think that the Pope is ignorant regarding the “violent” verses of the Koran, and only knows the “peace” verses? Or do you think that he is lying, which is worst? No, the Pope is well aware of all of the content of the Koran in order to say that statement.

841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day." – CCC

Also, here is a link from the USCCB regarding our dialogue with Muslim:

http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-tea...m_medium=email

Since the Pope (and actually Popes in this case) is my Shepherd entrusted by Jesus Himself to me, I take his words seriously and not like any ignorant dude who happens to say something about Islam.

I particularly have not read the Koran, but I know of the “violent” verses, and yes, they are violent; but I also know of the “peace” verses which promote peace, works of charity and mercy even to non-believers of Islam who do not wish to convert but want to be at peace, so is there a contradiction? – Faithful Moslem agree with the recent Popes that the Koran does not promote violence or terrorism (this is sinful in fact!), that happens only when the verses are read out of context, or as a misinterpretation to blatantly promote unjust wars or unjustified terrorism. Only self-defense is justified.

http://www.islamforpeace.org/quran.html

But sadly, many fellow Catholics do not heed the teaching of the Church in this regard, even priests. A priest said in a homily, that the true Moslem are the extremists, that the peaceful Moslem are not truly Moslem.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26

Last edited by Brother : 13th January 2015 at 08:21 PM.