Thread: Why Catholic ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2018, 05:43 PM
Administrator

[1 Corinthians]
{13:1} If I were to speak in the language of men, or of Angels, yet not have charity, I would be like a clanging bell or a crashing cymbal.
{13:2} And if I have prophecy, and learn every mystery, and obtain all knowledge, and possess all faith, so that I could move mountains, yet not have charity, then I am nothing.
{13:3} And if I distribute all my goods in order to feed the poor, and if I hand over my body to be burned, yet not have charity, it offers me nothing.

Jesus also teaches:
[Matthew]
{7:22} Many will say to me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and perform many powerful deeds in your name?’
{7:23} And then will I disclose to them: ‘I have never known you. Depart from me, you workers of iniquity.’

This is a clear indication that the gifts to be Apostle, teacher, language, knowledge etc., are given to the person for their good and the good of society use based on their callings and the positions that they have been providentially established. But these gifts (tools) that the person receives from God, avails to nothing if this person commits an actual mortal sin, thus losing the state of sanctifying grace. Therefore, one cannot conclude that just because a person seems sinful, or is a sinner, that person does not possess a particular charism from God regardless of the position there are at. As we saw previously with the Pharisees, those who were teaching from the position of Moses, Jesus taught His disciples to obey them (for the position they were at), but not act like them for they do not practiced what they taught.

Jesus told Pontius Pilate:
[John]
{19:11} ..“You would not have any authority over me, unless it were given to you from above. For this reason, he who has handed me over to you has the greater sin.”

Pilate had authority over Jesus because that particular authority was given to him by God Himself.

Note also Caiaphas, the Jewish high priest who organized the plot to kill Jesus. God granted this person the gift to prophesize infallibly, not based of his holiness, but because of the position that he was at, being the high priest.

[John]
{11:49} Then one of them, named Caiaphas, since he was the high priest that year, said to them: “You do not understand anything.
{11:50} Nor do you realize that it is expedient for you that one man should die for the people, and that the entire nation should not perish.”

{18:14} Now Caiaphas was the one who had given counsel to the Jews that it was expedient for one man to die for the people.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26