View Single Post
Old 8th August 2012, 10:04 PM

I'm not entirely certain I want to get too sucked into this discussion. It's obviously caused some hard feelings. Nonetheless, I've read most of the comments and I think I understand what everyone is saying. I sincerely feel that the main problem with allowing any intentional changes to the Mass, no matter how seemingly insignificant, is that it leads to taking liberties. Granted, no one is perfect and sometimes things aren't done exactly as they're supposed to be, but if you intend to do them correctly there's no harm done.

I realize that the Mass can be changed by the proper authorities, as can other disciplines of the church, but I think we've had enough of "I know better than everyone else and I'm going to do things my way". The rebellious priests in Ireland who were refusing to accept the new improvements would be a good example.

There are things about the Novus Ordo that I don't like, but I've accepted the fact that the Mass doesn't belong to me. It is the way it is and I can't change it. There are things about the Tridentine Mass that I don't like, but I've accepted the fact that it also doesn't belong to me and I can't change it either. It is what it is.

By the way, Claudia, I was very small when the Mass was changed, so I barely remembered what the Tridentine was like. When I first went as an adult I was really confused. You have to go several times before you really get the hang of it. I went to one every Sunday for about five years. I still go occasionally. There is something to be said for it, but I prefer the low Mass since I can participate more.