View Single Post
Old 15th July 2011, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garabandalg View Post
A relative divorced and remarried without having gotten an annulment and, supposedly got an annulment later on. She married someone who had never been married but she had a Catholic marriage so without a prior annulment her second marriage was invalid. A friend married a non-Catholic outside of a Church setting.

Your Catholic friend who married a non-Catholic outside of a Church setting proably does not have a valid marriage. The divorced and remarried relative could possibly have obtained an annulment, and then had the marriage convalidated.

Quote:
I did not attend either ceremony because I felt that to do so would be to acknowledge and even support what was being done. I had a lot of family strife in the case of my relative, but I felt God comes before family. I have since pretty much made up with the relative. Was I correct in my actions?

I agree with your judgment. You had a sound reason, based on the teachings of the Faith.

Quote:
Secondly, my sister-in-law and her husband attended a lesbian wedding. Is that a mortal sin which they must confess otherwise all the communions they have had since then have been sacrilegious?

Only actual mortal sin need be confessed prior to the next reception of holy Communion. Attending a same-sex wedding would ordinarily be a public expression of rejection of the definitive teaching of the Church against same-sex marriage and homosexual acts, and a rejection of Church teaching on the nature of both natural marriage and the Sacrament. If so, then the persons have committed the grave sin of heresy, the grave sin of scandal, and the grave sin formal cooperation with same-sex marriage. I cannot judge if this was an actual mortal sin, in this particular case, or merely an objective mortal sin. But persons guilty of actual mortal sin must confess before receiving Communion.