View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:52 PM
Administrator

I moved the above post to a new thread.

"I just dont see how one can vote for a pro-abort because of other moral issues."

First, on the point about errors in non-infallible teachings, the USCCB document 'Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship' essentially says that you can vote for a pro-abortion candidate, but Cardinal Burke says you cannot. So whichever one you agree with, you are disagreeing with the other. I take it then, that you believe the USCCB errs in their non-infallible teaching, and Cardinal Burke does not.

"Catholics that I know, vote for pro-aborts because they want open borders, or socialized medicine. These are moral issues that are not infallibly taught by the church."

The moral weight of an issue is not the same as whether or not it is infallibly taught. The Church has infallible teachings on lesser issues as well as weighty issues.

Examples of cases where one could vote for a pro-abortion candidate:

1. The pro-abortion candidate's party is generally pro-life, and electing him would give his party a majority in the Senate. The party in the majority has a lot more power to pass legislation and block legislation. If you vote for the pro-life candidate in a situation in which a party that is generally pro-abortion would take power, they can block all pro-life bills, even if the bill has enough votes to pass.

2. The election is for an office which has no influence over the abortion issue. You would then be morally obligated to vote for whichever candidate will do the most good and the least harm. The pro-abortion candidate does little or no harm on that issue, since his office has no influence over the issue. E.g. a position on the school board:
A. candidate is pro-abortion, but wants to make a series of reasonable improvements to the school
B. candidate is pro-life, but wants to make a series of harmful changes to the school system

3. The pro-abortion candidate favors additional restrictions on abortion, which have a chance of passing; this candidate has a track-record of being able to pass bills. The pro-life candidate has no track-record of passing (or even voting for) pro-life bills, and his proposed legislation (e.g. banning all abortion) has no chance of passing.

4. The pro-abortion candidate would not change current laws on abortion. The pro-life candidate would not be able to change current laws on abortion. The pro-abortion candidate has the better position on other weighty issues.