CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Ecumenism > Other Religions/Spirituality
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th July 2007, 12:44 PM

Thumbs up The existence of Hell

I came across this speech today, given by a priest in 1992 to a conference of bishops gathered at Fatima. Oh, that our parish priests AND bishops would preach like this. It's a little lengthy but excellent, in my opinion.

http://www.holysouls.com/hellexists.htm

Joey
Old 12th July 2007, 02:07 PM
Padraig

Smile

You know Joey I have to admit the thought of hell scares me greatly. It must be a lifetime ago since I heard a priest preach on hell. I mean really preach on it. When they do have to mention it you can see the whole topic embarrasses them, the same way with Satan and demonic possession and many, 'In your teeth' scriptural passages. A shame.

When we were kids our father used to take us to a Redmptorist Confraternity , at that time the Reds had a special vow to preach on hell instituted by thei founder, Saint Alphonsus Ligouri. They have dumped this vow long since. A tragedy.But those sermons would have blistered paint, I tell you.

I asked my Parish Priest if he would not preach on hell now and again and he openly laughed at me. I know I am regarded as an old fogey for my views on stuff like this. One time I jumped up and left Church in a middle of a visiting priests sermon. He was preaching on prayer and suggested that being naked in front of a candle while praying would help us relax and aid the prayer process. I didn't even complain, whats the use? I am not a theologian but now and again I suspect some of the sermons we are given are out and out heresy.

Sorry for the rant Joey. Ha! Ha! Had to get that of my chest.

In Saragossa there was a nobleman named Peter, a relation of Saint Dominic, but who was a most wicked man. One day when the Saint was preaching he saw Peter enter the church, and begged our Lord to manifest the state of that miserable sinner to the congregation. In an instant Peter appeared as a monster from Hell, surrounded and dragged about by many devils. Every one, even his wife, who was in the church, and the servants who accompanied him, began to fly. Saint Dominic then sent him word by a companion that he should recommend himself to Mary, and begin to recite the Rosary, which he also sent him. When Peter had received the message he humbled himself, sent to thank the Saint, and then had himself the grace to see the devils who surrounded him. He then confessed his sins with many tears to the Saint, from whom he received the assurance that they were already forgiven. He persevered in saying the Rosary; and became so holy, that one day our Lord made him appear in church in the presence of the whole congregation crowned with a triple crown of roses.

http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/glories13.htm

Last edited by Padraig : 12th July 2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12th July 2007, 02:53 PM

Talking

I don't consider your post to be a rant at all, Padraig. I very much agree. Would love to see the paint blistering in my parish. Also, the catholictradition site is phenomenal....thanks for the link.

Joey
Old 12th July 2007, 04:06 PM
Padraig

Wink

There is a very nice desktop background of Our Lady on that site, Joey, in case you hadn't noticed!!

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when the priest told the Monsignor he was on the road to hell!! Wonderful stuff!!
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:14 AM

Default The narrow door

After reading the priest's speech in Fátima, I couldn't help asking myself: "Do we really have an idea of how narrow is the door leading to salvation?"

Maybe some people think and believe that the door will adapt itself to the evolution of mankind, habits, behaviours, mentalities, notions of right and wrong, good and evil... It's exactly the opposite: we are the ones who should adapt in order to be able to pass through the narrow door.

Homo Viator