CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Biblical Chronology and Church History
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th July 2009, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Default Shroud of Turn - Hebrew letters

http://www.cathnews.com/article.aspx?aeid=15419

Hebrew letters have been found on the Shroud of Turin, allowing scholars to date the Shroud to more than 1800 years ago. The article does not say how this dating is done, but it may be based on changes in the Hebrew language over time (just as we could date a text in English based on whether it was written in old English, middle English, etc.).
Old 31st July 2009, 01:55 AM

Incredible. After all this time, words have been found on it. The story it tells continues even to this day.
Old 31st July 2009, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
it may be based on changes in the Hebrew language over time (just as we could date a text in English based on whether it was written in old English, middle English, etc.).

It is interesting how the English language itself has changed a lot with time.

One wouldn't be able to understand the first English translated Bibles nowadays, or it's very difficult.

I think Adam and Eve and the patriarchs from the OT would have spoken in a totally unknown dialect to us since languages tend to change with time.

Last edited by Brother : 31st July 2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 31st July 2009, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
It is interesting how the English language itself has changed a lot with time.

One wouldn't be able to understand the first English translated Bibles nowadays, or it's very difficult.

I think Adam and Eve and the patriarchs from the OT would have spoken in a totally unknown dialect to us since languages tend to change with time.

[Matthew]

CPDV
{26:13} Amen I say to you, wherever this Gospel will be preached in the whole world, what she has done also shall be told, in memory of her.

West Saxon Gospels 990 A.D. (old English)
{26:13} So ic secge eow swa hwr swa ys godspel by gebodud on eallum middan-earde by gesd on hyre gemynd t heo iss dyde;

Wycliff 1384 (middle English)
{26:13} Treuly I seie to you, wher euer this gospel shal be prechid in al the world, it shal be seide and that this womman dide, in to mynde of hym.
Old 1st August 2009, 02:38 AM

If you listen to the slang or local accents of people here you can find some that are hard to understand. I've heard Hispanics say the same thing that the local dialect is hard to understand even though it's from South America.

Ron's example really shows how language changes and that it is written/spoken for the people at the time. Having someone who truly knows the language is priceless.
Old 1st August 2009, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Yes, very interesting.

So I suppose that the Centurion or the Romans spoke with a different "Italian" at the time of Jesus than the one known today?...

The Italian language comes from the Latin. Languages such as French and Spanish also come from the Latin language and I know the Roman Empire was huge and included the lands of what is known as Spain, Portugal, France and other countries today. So we can also see how languages start to modify on different regions with time; and I think this also has to do with the fact that some countries were influenced by the cultures of other countires that conquered their lands.

Last edited by Brother : 1st August 2009 at 02:29 PM.