CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Eschatology and Private Revelation > Practical Preparations
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th March 2010, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Default Holy Thursday Plenary Indulgence

It is possible this year to obtain a plenary indulgence on Holy Thursday, just before the Warning. This would be very advantageous.

Conditions:

1. go to Confession within about 20 days before Holy Thursday.
2. be truly repentant from your sins and be detached from all sin
3. devoutly attend Mass on the first Thursday of the month (which is Holy Thursday next month) and receive Communion
4. offer the Mass and your prayers (and any other good works you may have done that day) to Jesus for priests, so that He may sanctify them and form them in accord with His Heart.
5. pray for the Pope's intentions (this can be done the same day or a previous day)
Old 27th March 2010, 11:09 PM

This would be especially good for our Pope in light of the attacks he is currently enduring.
Old 29th March 2010, 04:14 PM
Administrator

It is Providential that the faithful are able to obtain a plenary indulgence on Holy Thursday, at the last Mass before the Warning (only hours before the Warning).

I strongly recommend that members and non-member readers take advantage of this indulgence.
Old 29th March 2010, 05:46 PM
supporting member

Thank you for posting this. I intend to go to Holy Thursday Mass at St. Mary's Cathedral in San Francisco while we are there.

I have a question about indulgences, in general. I believe that they are good for us who are striving for holiness in everyday life. However, in my Lenten faith sharing group, there are certain individuals who emphasize that "having a checklist for God" or doing things for God, is really missing the mark. They say that this kind of attitude puts us in control or "in the driver's seat" which is not what Jesus is about. They say that our task is to humble ourselves to be like Jesus in all situations, since much of everyday life is out of our control, which I would agree, but, I don't think it follows that doing certain things, such as saying certain prayers, is a sign of immature faith. But, again, I did not wish to argue this, so remained silent. What do you say, Ron?

Also, there was a question about whether this format of faith sharing groups is going to work in the future. There is going to be a meeting to discuss resources. I am going to the meeting and will suggest that we have small groups that study the Catechism, rather than the Gospel reading. There is nothing inherently wrong with reflecting on the Gospel and sharing one's experiences, but Scripture alone, without the Catechism, is not enough, IMHO.
Old 29th March 2010, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredcello View Post
However, in my Lenten faith sharing group, there are certain individuals who emphasize that "having a checklist for God" or doing things for God, is really missing the mark. They say that this kind of attitude puts us in control or "in the driver's seat" which is not what Jesus is about. They say that our task is to humble ourselves to be like Jesus in all situations, since much of everyday life is out of our control, which I would agree, but, I don't think it follows that doing certain things, such as saying certain prayers, is a sign of immature faith. But, again, I did not wish to argue this, so remained silent. What do you say, Ron?
This type of argument that they are making is secular thinking. It is not an argument based on faith, and this shows in the type of language and explanation that is given.

We are required by the moral law to live in cooperation with grace. So it is not a question of who is in control, us or God. We cooperate with God. It is the will of God for us to use faith and reason to make decisions.

Also, the human person is body and soul, not soul only, and so it is useful in the spiritual life to have some exterior acts of devotion. These are useful if accompanied by interior cooperation with grace.