CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Saints, Blesseds, Venerables, Causes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th January 2010, 01:24 AM
supporting member

St. Joseph was the protector of the Mary and Jesus. He was in charge during the exodus to Egypt to escape the persecution brought on by Herod. During these difficult years ahead, some of us may need to relocate and make our own exodus. Let us keep in mind the intercession of St. Joseph that he may guide and assist us in moving our family out of harms way.
Old 30th January 2010, 04:08 PM

Default I like St. Joseph a lot

St. Joseph is a great example of a solid father figure. Gentle protection which was firm and assertive when necessary and sacrificed for the ones to be protected as often as necessary.
Old 9th May 2010, 02:27 PM

St. Joseph..., does anyone think this?

First there is a couple who love each other, Joseph and Mary, Mary is fiancee of Joseph, so before they knew God's plan for them, they think they can live normally and have a natural marriage like their parent.

But.., God reveal His plan to them, and this plan has indirectly take away their normal lesser way of life (marriage and then having child like ordinary people).., they have to live celibate although they are married...

Hmm..., I think the love of Joseph to Mary is different to love of ordinary husband and wife.., because they both had to live celibate...

Ron, is this true that they live celibate although they're married, I mean, Joseph didn't "touch" Mary for his entire life?

Last edited by ExCelciuS : 9th May 2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 9th May 2010, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCelciuS View Post
St. Joseph..., does anyone think this?

First there is a couple who love each other, Joseph and Mary, Mary is fiancee of Joseph, so before they knew God's plan for them, they think they can live normally and have a natural marriage like their parent.

But.., God reveal His plan to them, and this plan has indirectly take away their normal lesser way of life (marriage and then having child like ordinary people).., they have to live celibate although they are married...

Hmm..., I think the love of Joseph to Mary is different to love of ordinary husband and wife.., because they both had to live celibate...

Ron, is this true that they live celibate although they're married, I mean, Joseph didn't "touch" Mary for his entire life?

It is a dogma of the Catholic Faith and a required belief that Mary was a virgin for her entire life, including her entire marriage to Joseph.

No, Mary and Joseph did not think that they would have a normal marriage, with sexual relations. When the Angel appeared to Mary, after she was betrothed to Joseph but before they began to live in the same house, she did not assume that his announcement that she would bear a child would be the child of herself and Joseph. Instead, she asks how it could possibly happen that she would bear a child, since she is a virgin.

{1:34} Then Mary said to the Angel, “How shall this be done, since I do not know man?”

Mary said to Saint Bridget:

"Know most certainly that before he married me, Joseph knew in the Holy Ghost, that I had vowed my virginity to my God, and was immaculate in thought, word, and deed, and that he espoused me with the intention of serving me, holding me in the light of a sovereign mistress, not a wife. And I knew most certainly in the Holy Ghost that my perpetual virginity would remain intact, although by a secret dispensation of God I was married to a husband."
Old 10th May 2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
It is a dogma of the Catholic Faith and a required belief that Mary was a virgin for her entire life, including her entire marriage to Joseph.

No, Mary and Joseph did not think that they would have a normal marriage, with sexual relations. When the Angel appeared to Mary, after she was betrothed to Joseph but before they began to live in the same house, she did not assume that his announcement that she would bear a child would be the child of herself and Joseph. Instead, she asks how it could possibly happen that she would bear a child, since she is a virgin.

{1:34} Then Mary said to the Angel, “How shall this be done, since I do not know man?”

Mary said to Saint Bridget:

"Know most certainly that before he married me, Joseph knew in the Holy Ghost, that I had vowed my virginity to my God, and was immaculate in thought, word, and deed, and that he espoused me with the intention of serving me, holding me in the light of a sovereign mistress, not a wife. And I knew most certainly in the Holy Ghost that my perpetual virginity would remain intact, although by a secret dispensation of God I was married to a husband."

Yes, before I believe Mary was a virgin for her entire life, but without explanation, now you gave me the reason, I believe more firmly, thanks.