CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Photos
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th August 2010, 07:23 AM

Default Miraculous photo ?

Here is an interesting picture allegedly taken by a tourist, visiting Jerusalem in the 70s who took some pictures of monuments, and among them he took one of the Western Wall. But that picture, when the film was developed, revealed this image instead. The picture would be of Jesus, Joseph of Arimathea and Thaddeus.

http://petitremy.p.e.pic.centerblog.net/o5ojujgb.jpg

It look strikenly real, but perhaps it is a picture of painting of Michelangelo or RaphaŽl ?
While awaiting these things, be diligent, so that you may be found to be immaculate and unassailable before him, in peace. 2 Peter 3:14
Old 28th August 2010, 12:46 PM
Administrator

There is another man on the right, only partially in the photo of a painting.

from left to right:

1. this man looks much older than Jesus, so he is not one of the Apostles.
Joseph of Arimathea is a possibility. Nicodemus is another possibility.

2. Jesus

3. this person has no beard, so it is not a man; a youth might not have a beard. But this figure appears to be a woman. She is shorter and more delicate, her clothing is different, her eyes are cast down. It is not Mary. It could be Mary Magdalene, and her downcast eyes would represent her sorrow at her sins.

4. possibly Judas Iscariot; the staff in his hand could be figurative for a 'rod of correction'; then there is the contrast between the rod of Aaron and the rods of the Pharaoh's magicians in Exodus:

{7:12} And each one cast down their staffs, and they were turned into serpents. But the staff of Aaron devoured their staffs.

So a staff can have the negative meaning of a serpent (the devil).

If the painter intended the staff in the painting to have a positive connotation, then perhaps Jesus would have a staff also.

The fact that the fourth figure is only partly in the painting also seems to be a negative connotation. Judas Iscariot was only partly following Jesus, that is why, in the end, he fell away completely.

Last edited by Ron Conte : 30th November 2010 at 12:27 AM. Reason: edited because the photo is of a painting, not miraculous
Old 28th August 2010, 12:59 PM
supporting member

I remember this picture. My memory recalls that 3 was John the apostle.
Old 28th August 2010, 06:39 PM

Ron,

Very thoughtful and meditative comments. Thanks.
While awaiting these things, be diligent, so that you may be found to be immaculate and unassailable before him, in peace. 2 Peter 3:14
Old 30th August 2010, 08:52 PM
Administrator

I have seen that photo before but never knew the story behind.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 31st August 2010, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Default Nicodemus

I could be wrong, but I think the person who is next to Jesus (First from left to right) is Nicodemus.

Little is said about Joseph of Arimathea other than he was "the person who donated his tomb for the burial of Jesus"; however, there is more said about the relationship between Jesus and Nicodemus in the Gospels, a Pharisee who learned a lot from Him.

By looking at this picture, it gives the impression that Jesus is not only talking with the first person, but also shows the attitude of teaching and/or instructing him. An old - learned man paying very close attention to what a considerably younger Man is saying. This old man seems to be learning about things he didn't know, or about things he didn't expect.

The image also gives the impression that this moment could have happened during the last months before the Crucifixion.

Last edited by Brother : 31st August 2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 1st September 2010, 11:36 AM

Thanks 4 post ponifex, i remember seeing this image in the early 90s, this picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 29th November 2010, 04:08 PM

Pontifex,

You are correct to suspect this was a picture of a painting, but is of Johannes Raphael Wehle. This "photo" is a fake. I found a French website that when translated spoke about the counterfeit image and story with the two images next to one another.

This is the best image I found of the painting.

-jay
Old 29th November 2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1975 View Post
Pontifex,

You are correct to suspect this was a picture of a painting, but is of Johannes Raphael Wehle. This "photo" is a fake. I found a French website that when translated spoke about the counterfeit image and story with the two images next to one another.

This is the best image I found of the painting.

-jay

Thanks JS. Could you point me toward that website as I would like to read about it.
Old 30th November 2010, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Jay, you might be right.

I took the image of the painting from the link you provided and 'photoshoped' it in order to make it look as the apparent miraculous photo looks by making it black&white, making adjustments on its brightness/contrast, color levels, etc. and I come up with this image which looks similar to the alleged miraculous photo.

Remember, this image is a 'photoshop' of the painting from the link Jay provided:

I like the painting though.