CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Saints, Blesseds, Venerables, Causes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th February 2011, 03:24 PM

Smile St. Valentine

Hello everyone,

I'm curious about history of Valentine Day, is it related to St. Valentine, is St. Valentine he or she? since I think valentine is more suitable for she name.

Anybody have some information or links regarding this?

Thank you.

And Happy Valentine . . .

- love applied in acts is the true love -

- faith applied in acts is the true faith -
Old 16th February 2011, 03:37 AM

Excelcius,
It seems St. Valentine was a bishop of the very early church who was a martyr. From what I could gather, his feast day is associated with Spring and that time of year when nature, (birds and mammals) is awaking from the winter sleep and begin to seek mates.
Old 16th February 2011, 03:03 PM

Okay, thanks for the info CB.
Old 27th February 2011, 01:18 AM

St. Valentine was a holy priest in Rome who assisted the martyrs in the persecution under Claudius II. Since he was caught marrying Christian couples and aiding any Christians who were being persecuted under Emperor [when helping them was considered a crime], Valentinus was imprisoned. When he refused to renounce his faith he was beaten with clubs, and afterwards, beheaded on February 14, about the year 270.

Sorry, but I really condensed findings on the 'net to make it fit a post on my facebook page. Wish I had the link. But thought you might like this info, too. It makes me furious when this particular "sect" of folks try to make any Catholic holy day/holiday into a pagan practice. So i went looking for info on "St." Valentine.
Old 27th February 2011, 04:49 AM

[quote=ljsedivy;36113]St. Valentine was a holy priest in Rome who assisted the martyrs in the persecution under Claudius II. Since he was caught marrying Christian couples and aiding any Christians who were being persecuted under Emperor [when helping them was considered a crime], Valentinus was imprisoned. When he refused to renounce his faith he was beaten with clubs, and afterwards, beheaded on February 14, about the year 270.

Sorry, but I really condensed findings on the 'net to make it fit a post on my facebook page. Wish I had the link. But thought you might like this info, too. It makes me furious when this particular "sect" of folks try to make any Catholic holy day/holiday into a pagan practice. So i went looking for info on "St." Valentine.[/QUOTE

ljsedivy, Since I am the only person who responded 2 days after excelcius asked for info on St. Valentine and you did not provide a link to your historical narrative, It seems you are referring to me. What particular "sect" of folks do you mean?
I happen to be a cradle Roman Catholic, consecrated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and The Immaculate Heart of Mary.
Maybe my post wasn't as thorough with details as it could have been, but it did come from a Catholic source.
Old 27th February 2011, 01:17 PM
Administrator

I think ljsedivy is referring to the secularization of Valentine's day. Society tends to secularize religious holidays, like Christmas and Easter.
Old 27th February 2011, 08:08 PM

Ron is partially correct and as St. Valentine's day approached, I mentioned to my husband that it was not "Valentine's Day" but ST. Valentine's day -- that we should reclaim our holidays.

I had mentioned a particular "sect" of people (Christians, actually) in past threads. These are the people proclaiming the RCC as the Whore of Babylon and the pope is the anti-christ. They claim that all of our holy days are pagan.

We should NOT celebrate Christ's birthday on December 25th -- that was an adopted day in favor of paganism (they have all kinds of crazy ideas on this).

Our Easter celebrations are pagan.

Halloween came from the paganism of the RCC church.

We should not honor Sunday as our Lord's day because we are to keep holy the Sabbath (Saturday) per the old testament. (Remember my question to you, Ron? Thank you again.)

Their knowledge of history is quite shattered. I have gotten into dialogue with them before. It turns out their church (whatever it is) is some newfound form of Christianity that claims to adhere closest to the Jewish traditions. I often have a hard time distinguishing if they are Christian OR Jewish.

Anyway, more information than anyone needed. But that's who I was referring to. And I have given up on dialoguing with them. It was time to shake the dust from my sandals. But I continue to pray for unity in Christ's church. That is what he wants.