CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Saints, Blesseds, Venerables, Causes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th March 2009, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Default Happy St. Joseph's Day!

Dear all,

Just reminding you that today we celebrate the feast day of Saint Joseph, foster-father of Our Lord, chaste spouse of Our Lady, patriarch of the Church, and protector of the needy.

Please take advantage of Saint Joseph's great intercessory power to ask for graces on his feast day.

Do not be shy in asking. For example, Saint Teresa of Avila said this about devotion to Saint Joseph:

"I wish I could persuade everyone to be devoted to this glorious Saint, for I have great experience of the blessings which he can obtain from God. I have never known anyone to be truly devoted to him and render him particular services that did not notably advance in virtue, for he gives very real help to souls who commend themselves to him. For some years now, I think, I have made some request of him every year on his festival and I have always had it granted. If my petition is in any way ill directed, he directs it aright for my greater good."

So, if you need a very special grace, I hope you will pray to Saint Joseph.

Prayer to Saint Joseph:

"O Saint Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God, I place in thee all my interests and desires. O Saint Joseph, do assist me by thy powerful intercession, and obtain for me from thy divine Son all spiritual blessings, through Jesus Christ, Our Lord; so that, having engaged here below thy heavenly power, I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of the fathers God created. O Saint Joseph, I never weary contemplating thee, and Jesus asleep in thy arms; I dare not approach while He reposes near thy heart. Embrace Him in my name and kiss His fine head for me, and ask Him to return the kiss when I draw my dying breath. O Saint Joseph, Patron of departing souls, pray for me. Amen!".

Last edited by Brother : 19th March 2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 26th March 2009, 03:31 PM

Talking Re: St. Joseph's Feast

It's really fun to be named Joseph and be Catholic because Joseph seems to have 3 feast days: His Feast, Holy Family, and St. Joseph the Worker. Also, since my birthday is 2 days after Christmas (Feast of St. John), I have thought about "changing" my birthday to be on St. Joseph's Feast day.

Just a thought.
Old 12th March 2010, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Default A little late to announce but...

A Novena could have been started yesterday in order to end it on St. Joseph's Feast Day, however, remember that God is not legalist as the Pharisee used to be, He considers our intentions, so we can start it today as well.
Old 12th March 2010, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Here is a good Novena Prayer for those interested:

http://www.americaneedsfatima.org/Fr...st-joseph.html

[Matthew 1]
{1:16} And Jacob conceived Joseph, the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
{1:17} And so, all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David to the transmigration of Babylon, fourteen generations; and from the transmigration of Babylon to the Christ, fourteen generations.
{1:18} Now the procreation of the Christ occurred in this way. After his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they lived together, she was found to have conceived in her womb by the Holy Spirit.
{1:19} Then Joseph, her husband, since he was just and was not willing to hand her over, preferred to send her away secretly.
{1:20} But while thinking over these things, behold, an Angel of the Lord appeared to him in his sleep, saying: “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to accept Mary as your wife. For what has been formed in her is of the Holy Spirit.
{1:21} And she shall give birth to a son. And you shall call his name JESUS. For he shall accomplish the salvation of his people from their sins.”
{1:22} Now all this occurred in order to fulfill what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying:
{1:23} “Behold, a virgin shall conceive in her womb, and she shall give birth to a son. And they shall call his name Emmanuel, which means: God is with us.”
{1:24} Then Joseph, arising from sleep, did just as the Angel of the Lord had instructed him, and he accepted her as his wife.
{1:25} And he knew her not, yet she bore her son, the firstborn. And he called his name JESUS.

Last edited by Brother : 12th March 2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12th March 2010, 05:56 PM

Thnaks Brother for reminding us about st. Joseph feast day. It is a happy news for today. I really appreciated it! God bless you!
Old 21st March 2010, 11:49 PM
Jeanne D'Arc

Default Blaspheming St. Joseph

Did anyone else see Ms. Pelosi's speech explaining how she prayed to St. Joseph for passage of the healthcare bill? Can you imagine??? That a pure and holy soul like the spouse of the Virgin would rally around a pro-abortion piece of drivel. I am not really sure about the events that Ron is predicting in two weeks, but I sure as heck wish it would start. To hijack a beautiful saint for such nefarious purposes makes me ill. Where in the world is her bishop? I am not privy to her private thoughts or "devotions", but when she goes on national media and parades her pseudo-Catholicism around, I am beyond angry. I pray for her, but I am praying for the rest of the world because of her and her colleagues. God alone can help us now, because it looks like the bill is going to pass tonight.
Old 24th March 2010, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Default Acutually, I'm kind of glad she prayed to St. Joseph...

St. Joseph is not going to grant her that petition - obviously; however, since she prayed to such a great Saint, I think he is going to make her realize that abortion is very wrong, so there is hope that she may repent after realizing the atrocity of her request.

The following is what St. Teresa of Avila had to say regarding praying to St. Joseph, even when our petitions may be ill directed.

Quote:
"I wish I could persuade everyone to be devoted to this glorious saint, for I have great experience of the blessings which he can obtain from God. I have never known anyone to be truly devoted to him and render him particular services who did not notably advance in virtue, for he gives very real help to souls who commend themselves to him. For some years now, I think, I have made some request of him every year on his festival and I have always had it granted. If my petition is in any way ill directed, he directs it aright for my greater good."

- St. Teresa of Avila

St. Teresa of Avila recommended us so much to pray to St. Joseph.
http://blog.siena.org/2010/03/st-ter...st-joseph.html

Let us not take her word for granted, let practice it.

Blessed Brother Andre even built a big Oratory in Montreal dedicated to St. Joseph.

St. Joseph pray for us!
Old 15th July 2011, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Default St. Joseph and the Sword of Conflict

I think this is a good article:

Quote:
It is not uncommon for God to frontload missions and great enterprises with adversity. St. Joseph was certainly no exception.

In the book of Sirach, it reads: “My son, when you come to serve the LORD, prepare yourself for trials. Be sincere of heart and steadfast, undisturbed in time of adversity.” (Sirach 2:1-2) ....

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/column.php?n=1694
Old 16th July 2011, 03:06 AM

Default great role model

St Joseph is a powerful model of what a husband and father should be like.