CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Prayer, Self-denial, Works of Mercy
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd August 2008, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Default The Portiuncula Indulgence

1. go to confession within 8 days before or after August 1st/2nd
2. go to Mass and receive Communion within the same period
3. visit a church and pray (preferably a church related to Saint Francis or the Franciscan order.
4. pray for the intentions of the Pope

You may also apply the indulgence to anyone in Purgatory.
It is plenary (full) if done with sincere devotion and with contrition from all sin.
Otherwise, it is partial.
You must have the intention to obtain the indulgence.

"The Portiuncula Indulgence could at first be gained only in the Portiuncula chapel between the afternoon of 1 Aug. and sunset on 2 Aug. On 5 Aug., 1480 (or 1481), Sixtus IV extended it to all churches of the first and second orders of St. Francis for Franciscans; on 4 July, 1622, this privilege was further extended by Gregory XV to all the faithful, who, after confession and the reception of Holy Communion, visited such churches on the appointed day. On 12 Oct., 1622, Gregory granted the same privilege to all the churches of the Capuchins; Urban VIII granted it for all churches of the regular Third Order on 13 Jan., 1643, and Clement X for all churches of the Conventuals on 3 Oct., 1670. Later popes extended the privilege to all churches pertaining in any way to the Franciscan Order, even to churches in which the Third Order held its meetings (even parish churches, etc.), provided that there was no Franciscan church in the district, and that such a church was distant over an Italian mile (1000 paces, about 1640 yards). Some districts and countries have been granted special privileges. On 9 July, 1910, Pius X (only, however, for that year) granted the privilege that bishops could appoint any public churches whatsoever for the gaining of the Portiuncula Indulgence, whether on 2 Aug. or the Sunday following (Acta Apostolicae Sedis, II, 1910, 443 sq.; Acta Ord. Frat. Min., XXIX, 1910, 226). This privilege has been renewed for an indefinite time by a decree of the S. Cong. of Indul., 26 March, 1911 (Acta Apostolicae Sedis, III, 1911, 233-4). The Indulgence is toties-quoties, that is, it may be gained as often as one wishes (i.e. visits the church); it is also applicable to the souls in purgatory."
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12286a.htm

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07783a.htm
Old 3rd August 2008, 09:42 AM
supporting member

Default Thanks for the History Lesson

My understanding and appreciation for St. Francis continues to grow. I am certain that he is pleased with the progression of his special gift to us all. I fullfilled the requirements and assigned the indulgence for the benefit of my father, who passed away several years ago. Thanks again for the history lesson.
Old 5th August 2008, 04:13 PM

Can all indulgences be applied to souls deceased, or is this just a special case?

thanks,
jay
Old 5th August 2008, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1975 View Post
Can all indulgences be applied to souls deceased, or is this just a special case?

thanks,
jay
You always have the ability, with any prayers, self-denial, or works of mercy to apply remission for temporal punishment to the souls in Purgatory. It is not a special case.
Old 8th August 2008, 06:58 AM
jack

Ron,
I went for confession, received communion and prayed at a Chapel in a Clarist convent today. Do I have to specifically pray for the Indulgence for it to be granted.
Also why is the fact that we can obtain an Indulgence on a particular day not announced in church. I am not very familiar with obtaining Indulgence but I would like to learn more.
jack
Old 8th August 2008, 12:21 PM
Administrator

You have to intend to obtain the indulgence, and complete the prayers or tasks specified in the indulgence.

I don't know why more priests don't mention indulgences at Mass (or in parish bulletins).
Old 15th August 2008, 01:18 PM

Default The Gift Of The Indulgence

General Remarks On Indulgences taken from: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/tr...lgence_en.html

1. This is how an indulgence is defined in the Code of Canon Law (can. 992) and in the Catechism of the Catholic Church (n. 1471): "An indulgence is a remission before God of the temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven, which the faithful Christian who is duly disposed gains under certain prescribed conditions through the action of the Church which, as the minister of redemption, dispenses and applies with authority the treasury of the satisfactions of Christ and the saints".

2. In general, the gaining of indulgences requires certain prescribed conditions (below, nn. 3, 4), and the performance of certain prescribed works (nn. 8, 9, 10 indicate those specific to the Holy Year).

3. To gain indulgences, whether plenary or partial, it is necessary that the faithful be in the state of grace at least at the time the indulgenced work is completed.

4. A plenary indulgence can be gained only once a day. In order to obtain it, the faithful must, in addition to being in the state of grace:

have the interior disposition of complete detachment from sin, even venial sin;
have sacramentally confessed their sins;
receive the Holy Eucharist (it is certainly better to receive it while participating in Holy Mass, but for the indulgence only Holy Communion is required);
pray for the intentions of the Supreme Pontiff.

5. It is appropriate, but not necessary, that the sacramental Confession and especially Holy Communion and the prayer for the Pope's intentions take place on the same day that the indulgenced work is performed; but it is sufficient that these sacred rites and prayers be carried out within several days (about 20) before or after the indulgenced act. Prayer for the Pope's intentions is left to the choice of the faithful, but an "Our Father" and a "Hail Mary" are suggested. One sacramental Confession suffices for several plenary indulgences, but a separate Holy Communion and a separate prayer for the Holy Father's intentions are required for each plenary indulgence.

6. For the sake of those legitimately impeded, confessors can commute both the work prescribed and the conditions required (except, obviously, detachment from even venial sin).

7. Indulgences can always be applied either to oneself or to the souls of the deceased, but they cannot be applied to other persons living on earth.
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:30 PM

Reminder that today is teh feast of the Porziuncula my friends.
For this was I born, and for this came I into the world; that I should give testimony to the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice. (Jh:18:37)