CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Catholic Theology Q & A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd August 2011, 12:06 AM

Default Jesus' Travels

Ron, Jesus was born in Bethlehem and for a time fled to Egypt with Mary and Joesph. Not counting the trip to Egypt because Jesus was just an infant, about how far did he travel from home? In other words, about how far did he travel if we could construct some sort of radius either from Bethlehem or Nazareth? Thanks.
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonafreak View Post
Ron, Jesus was born in Bethlehem and for a time fled to Egypt with Mary and Joesph. Not counting the trip to Egypt because Jesus was just an infant, about how far did he travel from home? In other words, about how far did he travel if we could construct some sort of radius either from Bethlehem or Nazareth? Thanks.

I'm not sure what you are asking. You can look on a map to see how far Nazareth is from Bethlehem. As an adult, Jesus traveled even to the other side of the Jordan. He traveled to various places in Palestine also. I don't think it is known what the furthest point was that Jesus traveled to as an adult.

He was in Egypt for several years, from the age of about 1 year and 3 months, to about 8 year of age at His return.
Old 3rd August 2011, 06:12 AM

Default Jesus' travels

I think I know what Daytona is refferring to. There is a claim by a sect of Muslims in the Kashmir region, that Jesus visited the area and impacted the locals enough to engage their revevence to this day.

What lends a tad of credibility to the claim is that Islam hadnt been founded till 600 years later and that at least one of the 3 wise men from the East was purported to be from India! Also The spice route from North India to the Roman outposts at the Mediterranean was a busy highway for even people seeking enlightenment from the famed holy men of India.

However, Indian catholics disregarded this vague possibility, when Hindus started claiming that Jesus mastered yoga and practised 'suspended animation' to survive the crucifixion!

But the existence of a Jewish synagogue and a tiny settlement dating to BC times, at Kochi in Southern India does confirm the traffic between India and isreal during Jesus times. In fact, St. Thomas most definitely landed here and made Christians out of us.
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:36 PM

That is interesting Feyfifer but I was just curious. One time I had an older couple approach me and they asked me some theological questions about suffering and free will and I answered them. They said I had the best answer that they had ever heard regarding their questions, one of which related to the premature death of their son. Anyway, somewhere in the conversation they asked me if I traveled a lot and told me how they traveled so much. They could not believe that I do not travel much and they tried to stress to me how important traveling is (or so they thought). The conversation ended and I had to move on but I wish I could have had the time to reply and tell them how many Holy Saints we have in the Catholic Church who never traveled hardly at all. Also, how many monks and religious orders that are cloistered and therefore do not travel. I think what the couple was doing was substituting travel for the grief over the loss of their murdered son.

I also looked at some maps of Jesus' travels and I think it is fair to say that based on what we know from Scripture, he did not travel more than about 200 miles away from Nazareth at any one given time, except for the flight to Egypt.