CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Eschatology and Private Revelation > FAQ about the Future
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th September 2012, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Default the great apostasy

When the great apostasy begins -- and I believe this will happen during the Year of Faith -- most Catholics will leave the Church. They will no longer call themselves Catholic. They will no longer attend Mass, even on Christmas and Easter. They will no longer financially support their (former) parish.

"The church will become small and will have to start afresh more or less from the beginning. She will no longer be able to inhabit many of the edifices she built in prosperity. As the number of her adherents diminishes ... she will lose many of her social privileges."

Cardinal Ratzinger (1969), republished in Faith and the Future (2009)

Now, to be fair, Cardinal Ratzinger/Pope Benedict XVI was not talking about the great apostasy specifically. He was talking about the possibility (not a prediction by him) that the Church might need to become smaller in order to become holier. But I see that his words are true, and that they apply to the great apostasy.

Why do most Catholics leave the Church at that time? It is because they already left the Church long before that time, in their hearts and minds. Most Catholics do not believe what the Magisterium teaches, do not know what the Magisterium teaches, do not want to know what the Magisterium teaches. They do not acknowledge that the Church has the role of teaching them with authority on matters of faith and morals.

Most Catholics are in a state of at least material heresy; many in a state of formal heresy.

During the Year of Faith, the new Pope will require the faithful to believe and practice what the Church teaches in order to receive the Sacraments. Most Catholics will be outraged that Catholics would be required to believe what the Catholic Church teaches, and they will depart from the true Faith.
Old 7th October 2012, 01:57 PM

Your words make a lot of sense and then I read something like this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...tatorship-pope

It's pretty brazen on his part and I am surprised he calls himself "Catholic". Based on what he is advocating, I assume he does not believe in absolutes.
Old 7th October 2012, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Kung long ago fell into a state of automatic excommunication for heresy, on many different points of Catholic teaching. I don't consider him to be a member of the Church. He writes theology, so he is a theologian. But he is not a Catholic theologian.

He's also wrong about the relationship between the Pope and the Bishops. The Pope has the same relationship to them that Peter had to the other Apostles. The Bishops are Apostles in their own right, and have some ground to stand on, if they disagree with a decision on discipline or non-infallible doctrine.
Old 7th October 2012, 05:36 PM

I was surprised he was called Catholic. I think it proves what you have been saying in that people no longer know what Catholic is. If people, like him (who claims to be a Catholic theologian and a priest) are accepted as such. Then the great apostasy becomes inevitable.
Old 7th October 2012, 09:38 PM

Default Introduction to Year Of Faith at church where I attend

During Holy Mass at church today, our Priest, Father Ward, introduced The Year Of Faith to Congregation.

He touched on very controversial subjects such Gay Marriage, Contraception, Couples living together outside of Holy Matrimony just to name a few subjects. Father Ward did not Sugar Coat any of these subjects and to be honest, I am glad that he tells it how it is.

Our Lord was not luke warm on matters when it came to sin and either should our Holy, Roman, Catholic Priests either.

Frado
Old 8th October 2012, 12:37 AM
TheGiftOfLife

Default Catholic leaders gather to counter decline of faith

How appropriate! This just hit the wire!

Pope Benedict XVI on Sunday opened a meeting of Roman Catholic Church leaders from around the world to debate how to counter rising secularism on the 50th anniversary of the momentous Second Vatican Council

http://www.france24.com/en/20121007-...-decline-faith