CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Prayer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th October 2013, 10:13 PM
Default Music & Prayer

Often when I pray I listen to music. It helps me get into the mood for prayer and as long as it’s subtle background music I find it lessens the distractions and ambient noises. I was curious if others do this as well? Is it disrespectful to listen to music during prayer? I find Gregorian chant beautiful but for some reason it’s a bit too distracting for me during prayer so I much prefer thematic music such as the film score to “Passion of the Christ” for example.

Would others please let me know what ways help them to remain focused in prayer?
Old 14th October 2013, 10:33 PM

It's not disrespectful. Various approaches can help focus during prayer: looking at a holy picture or crucifix, going for a walk while praying, or sometimes taking a break and then returning to prayer.
Ron Conte
Roman Catholic theologian
Old 15th October 2013, 02:09 PM

If there is something good that helps you focus on prayer, then go for it. Classical or soothing music can be a good resource to focus. Like Ron said, looking at a picture of Christ, the Virgin can also help us to focus on prayer. Another thing that helps me focus when I start to get distracted and other things don't seem to work for me, is to pray verbally (speaking), not necessarily too loud, and speaking the words slowly and with emphasis on each word and picturing the person you are praying to (e.g. Jesus, Virging Mary, Saints, etc.) right in front of you but in a higher position, so you have to look up.