CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Catholic Theology Q & A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th February 2014, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Default Is communicating with the dead intrinsically evil?

Ron, please correct me if I'm wrong or if I'm missing something.

I would say no. The morality of the act will depend on the intention and the circumstances. For example, we Catholics communicate with deceased (in the body) persons such as the Saints, so it's morally good to pray or have a conversation with the Saints in order for them to pray with and for us to in the Name of Jesus. Sometimes God sends the spirit of a Saint to give a message to a particular person, then only in this situation, it is the Will of God.

Now, is divination intrinsically evil?

Yes! It is! If a person intends to contact the spirit of a deceased person in order to obtain information he otherwise would not know, then this act is intrinsically evil and always gravely immoral. That person is not doing the will of God, but his own will. What this person would be doing is calling upon evil spirits or demos and would be performing a form of idolatry.

Here comes another question:

Would be permissible for a Catholic Scientific to do an experimental test using a Ouija board in order to find out what is that makes a "planchette" (little piece of flat wood) 'move by itself' in order to find out if it is the "brain muscles" our would be "other form of external force"?

I think it would be permissible, but I would say with a special and formal dispensation from the Pope or Bishop in order to do it.

Why would it be permissible? Because the intention of the scientific will not be divination, or trying to have information it is forbidden to have, but only to have a scientific proof of what causes that little piece of wood move by itself. The persons involved in this act would have artifacts, electronic devices attached to their heads which will be connected to a computer in order so see brain reactions.

In this case, the act would not be immoral. However, the vast majority of the people who uses this object, which is NOT a toy, they do it for gravely immoral and forbidden reasons. Therefore I personally do not recommend using this or any object mostly connected with the occult for any reason, this is playing with fire and you can get burned.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26

Last edited by Brother : 27th February 2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 27th February 2014, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Catholics should generally avoid anything having to do with the occult.

I don't really want to comment on the specifics of your post.
Old 3rd March 2014, 10:02 AM

Scripture tells us that the devil was a liar from the beginning - and 'scientific' enquiry would be compromised at once because science cannot tell us 'what' is behind the seemingly supernatural activities obtained from a ouija board. The Austrian mystic Maria Simma (for your discernment - she's not officially approved by the RCC) stated that all spiritual communication, whether through spiritualist churches, mediums or ouija boards was of satanic origin. She herself had visitations (allegedly) from souls in purgatory asking for prayers and Masses but never sought them.

We can and should pray for the poor souls in purgatory, but commmunication with the dead - 'necromancy' - is forbidden in Scripture and Tradition. BTW, St Bernard warned against 'unseemly curiosity'.
Old 3rd March 2014, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Yes, like said above, people seeking divination or the occult is forbidden and always a grave sin.

However, the reason of this post is because there are some Scientifics who tell people that the reason that an object move by itself performing a particular act is because the "subconscious mind muscles" and that "there is not spirits" at all involved in its use, thus making it seems as if there no existence of spirits at all, or it is not dangerous at all for people who use or "play" with this kind of objects, putting at risks the life of many people, children included. Therefore, since the Church is called to seek and defend the Truth, there can be a truly scientific research (with Pope or Bishop's permission and using the three fonts of morality) that can demonstrate with evidence that the "subconscious mind" or anything related, has nothing to do with such phenomena. This peculiar case would not be seeking ocultism but the truth.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26