CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Ecumenism > Catholics and other Christians
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th March 2014, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Well, the quality of this type of movie varies greatly.
"Noah" seems like it will be pretty ridiculous.
"Passion of the Christ" was perhaps a much more noble effort.
Old 11th March 2014, 12:46 AM

Thumbs up SON OF GOD very "Roman Catholic"--more than others

This is the only Jesus movie I've seen at home or at the theater that clearly established the primacy of Peter.

At the end, after the Ascension, the narration stated, "we began spreading the Gospel with Peter as our leader".

What more do you WANT?

This was the MOST ROMAN CATHOLIC version of the life of Christ ever
shown in the movies or on network TV.

I knew that there would be those who complain about everything and never
find anything suitable to their stickler tastes.

For all readers not suffering from the disease of perfectionism, please go see this movie. "Catholic Planet" should be spearheading the drive to see this movie.

Last edited by jeromeindesert : 11th March 2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11th March 2014, 02:30 PM
Administrator

I particularly like and enjoy movies, good movies, of course. To me, a movie is a form of art. Unfortunately, it has been degraded so much with sinful secular society who use this medium to promote or 'preach' what the enemy wants us to hear and do. However, this same tool can be used for uplifting purposes.

Regarding religious movies, it will never be compared to Tradition, Scripture or Magisterium, of course, but it can be useful for depiction of events that truly happened. In fact, this has served as the spark of the conversion of many sinners. I can compare a motion picture with a still picture, with a painting. For example, the painting of the Divine Mercy makes a sort of close resemblance of what Jesus really looked like, even though that is not 'exactly' as how He really looked like. St. Faustina said that our Lord is much more beautiful, but, with the painting, we have the idea at least. Same with a movie, it will not be exactly as it happened, and we have to know that, it is just a "play"; but it may help us get an idea, or a "picture" of how the events may have been. To make these type of movies good, is important that the producers have vast knowledge of what they are doing, have done their research and with the supervision of learned theologians.

As any art, painting, sculpture, etc. good criticism is very welcomed, it helps to edify us and, for the artists, to make better art.

Some of the great movies I particularly like are: "Ben Hur", "Man of all Seasons", "Miracle of Marcelino", "Jesus of Nazareth", "Passion of the Christ", among others.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26

Last edited by Brother : 11th March 2014 at 02:36 PM.