CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Ecumenism > Catholics and other Christians
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th March 2014, 01:00 AM

Thumbs up SON OF GOD 100% Roman Catholic

"Oregon Catholic" joined this group only in Sept of 2013 & could (possibly, or perhaps inadvertently, based only on his attacks) be a shill for those seeking to undermine christian movies. Either that or perhaps he is just overly nitpicky by nature.

I can't believe he would attack a solid Catholic movie because of an actor's
hairstyle. Oregon Catholic has clearly invested no time in researching hair styles at the time of Christ. Otherwise he would be in no position to attack HAIR BRAIDING which was very common in the first century AD.

The primacy of Peter in SON OF GOD is clearly displayed in a way it has never been displayed in any other movie about Christ.

The Ascension is shown.
After the Ascension the narration states that "we (christians) spread the gospel under the LEADERSHIP OF PETER."

How much more Catholic can a movie get??

Don't listen to possible shills who nit pick at worthy efforts.

Put your money into the very, very few movies that are consistent with Roman Catholic doctrine. Everyone should go and see it. At the theater.

Last edited by jeromeindesert : 11th March 2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11th March 2014, 01:14 AM

Exclamation Are Pharisees unknowingly undermining the work of God in 2014?

I'm 100% conservative Roman Catholic (to an extreme!!!) & used to be like the "or**** c******" with a critical spirit.

Roma Downey (Irish actress from "Touched by an Angel") (a practicing Catholic who was the impetus behind "Son of God") has come out with a very edifying movie that does not contradict catholic teaching in any way.

I always found some fault with
movies that were not 110% consistent with biblical eschatology.

We must get rid of those "critical spirits" in our hearts and open up to
a "big tent" attitude like Pope Francis has.

Before seeing the movie, I knew, in my minds-eye: "pharisees will nit pick this thing apart, unknowingly doing the work of anti-christ".

Movies like "Son of God" will bring in the lost sheep. How could "real" catholics discourage any soul from seeing this movie.
Old 11th March 2014, 03:58 PM

Personal attacks are unwarranted and unnecessary. I simply did not like the movie.
Old 11th March 2014, 04:06 PM
Administrator

I've placed jeromeindesert's account on probation for making personal attacks against Oregon Catholic and myself.

See the group rules here:
http://www.catholicplanet.net/forum/...ead.php?t=5033
Members are expected to be charitable toward one another.

Accounts on probation will have all posts reviewed by me before the post will appear in any forum.
Old 14th March 2014, 01:51 PM

I agree that members are to be charitable to one another. I did read Jerome's comments and in my heart I heard and felt his frustrations. Here we have a film about Our Lord that seems to be accurate and good. If you think about all the movies ever made and all the movies that are so harmful to our souls then here we have one that can change people's hearts and lead to conversion. Also this film even though I haven't seen it seems to lean towards a catholic viewpoint as opposed to a Protestant view. We rejoice, it is a tool for us to evangelize. So here on This forum where we all share many common viewpoints someone gives it a bad review. It is very frustrating. So please in this time of Lent have mercy on jeromeinthesesert I do not know him but feel his love for Jesus and love for his faith to defend a tool of evangelization, and boy do we need all the help we can out there in this world. Blessings
Old 14th March 2014, 07:09 PM

I didnít realize my negative opinion of this movie would hit a sore spot with anyone. Please keep in mind that itís only my opinion and one in which Iím certainly aware is not shared by everyone. I just ask that if you do decide to watch this movie, remain cognizant of the Churchís teachings in light of what is being portrayed in this story line. In doing so, you may come to the same understanding as I have.

Movies like this have the potential to pose an even greater danger to our spiritual health than the typical R-rated action flicks that hit theatres week after week because many faithful come to a movie like this fully open to the expectation of truthful, wholesome and spiritually enlightening entertainment that will also deepen our faith and understanding. Ultimately, we find that weíre exposed to slight doctrinal errors and teachings that arenít in accordance with our faith and it either subconsciously or consciously changes our beliefs. This is especially true for those whose faith is weak to begin with. We should never underestimate the power of music or cinema to shape the way we think, feel or act. The effects of this principle are clearly evident in society today. Make no mistake, the filmmakers did not make this movie as a true reflection of Catholic beliefs but changed it in such a way as to appeal to a mass Christian audience. As a result, many of the scenes and dialogue become unbiblical from a Catholic viewpoint.

In the spirit of charity, I ask jeromeindesert to forgive me if Iíve offended him in any way. That was never my intention.
Old 16th March 2014, 09:45 PM

Hi oregoncatholic
It is really hard in this day and age to find anything in the movie world that is in authentic teaching with the Catholic Church. I believe you were not trying to do any harm here at all. I believe you were warning us to be careful, and I thank you for that. Hollywood and Jesus are really not a good mix I guess. We want to be hopeful always, and the thought of a movie about Jesus stirs us not only to bring enjoyment to ourselves but as a conversation piece at the water fountain, a tool for evangelization. I have not seen it but would like to and will buy it on dvd when it comes out. When prominent priests are on tv praising it then I feel it is ok to watch and in line with the teachings of the Catholic Church. However as always I put it to prayer. I am a huge fan of Mel Gibsons The Passion and my vision of Jesus is the image that Jim Caveziel portrayed. I am looking forward to watching Mary of Nazareth. I think for me I read the Bible but when you have an opportunity to see the Bible in Motion then we are seeing the humanness of the stories come alive. I personally am surrounded by Protestants and always trying to defend my Catholic faith. Finally I have read Roma Downey is Catholic and I have read she is Protestant. So i remain open minded about the movie but will enjoy the biblical settings and lifestyles. Blessings to you.
Old 16th March 2014, 09:51 PM

Dear Ron
In charity would you re instate jeromeinthesesert . I enjoy reading everyone's posting. People on this site teach me a lot. We all learn from each other. I don't believe anyone on this site is malicious. We live in a world that taunts and tests us.
Blessings
Old 17th March 2014, 08:08 PM
Administrator

I don't see OC attacking Catholicism at all. Perhaps I did like the movie a bit more than him, but I agree with many of what he said about it. To me he wrote a very good review, and even if we disagree (all of us, not just him) a lot on our opinions about a movie, we can continue to be good standing Catholics. It is just an opinion about something which has been exposed publicly to be just that, criticized, as any other form of art. There are paintings of Jesus that has been made with good intentions, but to some people are awful, for others are kind of good, for others are great and they all sincerely love and worship Jesus.

Regarding the movie, I have many friends who are faithful Catholics who did not like the movie as well but, to me, cinematographically speaking is lacking, there is not character development nor good adaptation of the story, it is superficial and there are some scenes which does not reflect what we believe has happed, for example we see few people when Jesus is giving the Sermon of the Mount, when we know that there was a multitude there. We see Mary Magdalene practically everywhere with Jesus and the Apostles. But again, for a Sunday class screening, or for a quick visual review of how Jesus' life could have been, this movie can be given a shot.

There are some other movies about Jesus out there that I did not like at all such as "Gospel of John", but it's just my opinion.

I think Jerome can still post here in the group which would be nice, perhaps he just got an overheated moment that's all.

Let's all keep the love, peace and cool.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26