CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Catholic Theology Q & A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th May 2014, 11:01 PM

Default Catholic Evangelization and Grace

Hello Ron. If I may ask -

Is becoming a Catholic an individual gift or a grace that one must first pray for; akin to praying for wisdom and truth?

The reason I ask is that Iím the only Catholic in a family of Protestants and non-believers. I try and try to logically and reasonably explain the truth of Catholicism in traditional and scriptural terms but many will not (or cannot) see the truth of our faith. This applies to not only family but friends as well. Iím left wondering if this is because of pure stubbornness and a deeply rooted bias or if there is a deeper theological reason in that God hasnít endowed everyone with the grace of conversion to the true faith. Of course, there is always the third option of me just being terrible at evangelization!
Old 28th May 2014, 02:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonCatholic View Post
Is becoming a Catholic an individual gift or a grace that one must first pray for; akin to praying for wisdom and truth?

Grace is always first. You don't first pray so as to subsequently receive grace. Grace is before, during, and then also after every good act, every good desire, every good prayer.

No, you don't have to first want to be Catholic and then pray for it before receiving the grace to convert. God "wants all men to be saved and to arrive at an acknowledgment of the truth" and that includes the truth of Catholicism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonCatholic View Post
The reason I ask is that Iím the only Catholic in a family of Protestants and non-believers. I try and try to logically and reasonably explain the truth of Catholicism in traditional and scriptural terms but many will not (or cannot) see the truth of our faith. This applies to not only family but friends as well. Iím left wondering if this is because of pure stubbornness and a deeply rooted bias or if there is a deeper theological reason in that God hasnít endowed everyone with the grace of conversion to the true faith. Of course, there is always the third option of me just being terrible at evangelization!

We are fallen sinners, heavily influenced by a fallen sinful world. So, it is not your fault, nor is conversion to Catholicism some type of special gift only given to few. They don't convert because they are sinners. Perhaps they will convert one day.
Old 28th May 2014, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Some people don't believe because they don't want to, or they don't want to believe. You can show them the light, but if they close their eyes, they don't see it, and then say that "they don't see any light", even though the light is right there.

The only thing left to do is just pray for them.

Notice that many people didn't even believe Jesus Christ Himself. Jesus said that He is God but He proved it! He resurrected a man after four days!, the body of that person (Lazarus) was already stinking, meaning that his body was already decomposing and He brought that man back to life. Only God can break the laws of nature (that He Himself created), man cannot do that, devils cannot do that, only God can do that miracle, and many people, Pharisees saw that, yet they didn't believe Him.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 28th May 2014, 02:58 PM

Very good points. Thank you both!

As it's been said before and what I need to remind myself from time to time is that the best evangelization is the example we set in how we live our lives as Catholics.