CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Catholic Theology Q & A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th July 2014, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Default Why Self-Denial?

What does everyone think:
What is the usefulness in the spiritual life to self-denial?
I'll give my answer later.
Old 24th July 2014, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Self denial will help us reach true happiness found in loving God above all and neighbor as self by fighting against our concupiscence and not to be attached to the pleasures of this world. Self denial helps us be as the Lord taught us on the Sermon on the Mount (starting with the Beatitudes) [Matt 5, 6, 7] which is the heart of Christianity.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 24th July 2014, 05:04 PM

Default Growth for us and graces for others.

When offered to God with good disposition:

It's like exercising and strengthening a muscle group.
It helps draw us from attachment to the world and material things and allows us to be stronger and more immersed and comfortable in the spiritual life.

I like to think that for every little bit we put into any act of self-denial,
God is helping us and maybe adding ten bits,
to help our spiritual growth.

In addition to our own spiritual growth,
I believe God uses our self-denial to provide graces for others.
We will only know how others have been blessed
when we are in heaven.
Old 26th July 2014, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Good answers.

I'll add that self-denial frees the heart and mind to be better able to love God and neighbor. Self-denial frees us from attachments to lesser goods and sinful things, so that we can live a holy life.
Old 23rd July 2015, 02:36 PM

Self denial is essentially us attempting to re-prioritze our desires. We make God #1, he is our 1st love and our first desire above all. We push all other desires to the back for him. The devil likes to scramble things up and have us all living with disordered desires. Through self denial. if we fully commit to making God the #1 desire we will have everything.

Quote:
John of the Cross, Ascent of Mount Carmel, book I chapter 13, section 11

In order to arrive at having pleasure in everything, Desire to have pleasure in nothing.
In order to arrive at possessing everything, Desire to possess nothing.
In order to arrive at being everything, Desire to be nothing.
In order to arrive at knowing everything, Desire to know nothing.
Old 23rd July 2015, 07:38 PM

Default voluntary?

Unless you deny yourself and take up the Cross...........you know the rest. But how does this look in real life? It might look like this: I'd like to sleep in on Sunday, but Mass is at 9, so out of bed I roll, get the shower and get there with a few minutes to spare. Might look like this too: I'm going to get married when I grow up and have lots of children....but then one day at Adoration, I find my thoughts being gently nudged in another direction and a few short years later, the Solemn vows are said. It could look like this one too: The children are all married and living in other towns and we're about to retire. The youngest child gives birth to twins and is not recovering as well as they'd hoped, so retirement gets moved up a few short months, the house gets sold and an apartment not far from the babies is bought so Grandmom and Grandpop can be there for them because mom tires too easily and dad has got to work too many hours to pay for the doctor's bills. Golfing with the buddies in the golden years is long forgotten by the time Grandpa holds his twin grandbabies at the same time and they smile right up into his face together. Yeah. Sometimes the Cross comes so naturally we don't even know we're carrying it. God bless. Ginnyfree.