CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > News and Politics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th September 2007, 12:18 PM
AI2001

Default The Pontiff's Visit to the United States...

Quote:
Vatican sources: Philadelphia could also make the Pope's list

As CNA reported yesterday, its Vatican sources say that the Pontiff will visit New York and other cities in the US, although the Pope's itinerary is not yet official. The centerpiece of the trip will be a speech delivered at the United Nations, at the invitation of the UN's Secretary General, Ban Ki-Moon.

According to Reuters, the US visit could take place either at the end of April or the beginning of May and last five to six days.

Other than New York, the Pope may visit other cities: probable, although not yet confirmed, are Washington DC, Boston, Baltimore and Philadelphia, reports Reuters.

Old 25th September 2015, 05:01 PM

Default Regarding the Pope's comments

Statement of Pope Francis : It is not necessary to believe in God to be a good person. In a way, the traditional notion of God is outdated. One can be spiritual but not religious. It is not necessary to go to church and give money - for many, nature can be a church. Some of the best people in history did not believe in God, while some of the worst deeds were done in His name.
I am confused - does that mean Catholics do not have to go to Mass? I have fallen away relatives and friends - they 'jumped' at the words of the Pope and claim, 'see, I am right, we don't have to go to Mass'. He mentions the traditional notion of God is outdated -----I have followed the teachings of the Catholic Church for the last 60 years ---I am confused, if Catholics
'believe' the don't have to go to Mass, confession, etc --we just do our own thing?
Can you shed some light on his words, please Ron --
thank you
Old 25th September 2015, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnne View Post
Statement of Pope Francis : It is not necessary to believe in God to be a good person. In a way, the traditional notion of God is outdated. One can be spiritual but not religious. It is not necessary to go to church and give money - for many, nature can be a church. Some of the best people in history did not believe in God, while some of the worst deeds were done in His name.

This appears to be a false quote.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/popeatheist.asp

I will comment on the IDEAS in the quote, while noting that the source is not the Pope.

It is well-established in Catholic salvation theology that a non-Christian and even an atheist might enter the state of grace by an implicit baptism of desire. Indeed, Fr. Feeney was excommunicated partly for his rejection of baptism of desire, which the Holy Office clearly asserted could be implicit. And everyone who is in a state of grace is in some sense a good person.

An atheist might be confused by the diversity of opinions on religion in modern society, and by the sinfulness of believers, such that he has a sincerely mistaken conscience in rejecting belief in God. So an atheist can be saved.

Yes, some good persons are atheists and some sinful persons are believers.

The rest of the quote just seems silly, so I won't comment.