CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > the Church
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th September 2015, 11:08 PM

Default The pope and annulments

Ron,

I was wondering if you had any comment on the pope's recent decision to amend the process whereby a couple seeks out a declaration of annulment.

This is particularly concerning for me, and I believe should be for all Catholics, because it leaves open the door to many potential abuses. We are already aware of the liberal views of many bishops throughout the world and so it does not fill me with confidence that all bishops would have the prudence or, at least, the motivation for prudence that is required in deliberating on these matters.

I would go so far as to claim that any potential for error would be too much potential for the Lord to allow, as it could cause a serious disrespect for/abuse of the sacrament.

I know the changes do not come into effect until December. I, therefore, propose that there is every chance they may not come into effect at all given the potential for abuse. I am of mind that the Lord might not allow this to occur. However, I am in no condition to speculate on the mind of the Lord and so abdicate to Him.

Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 11:31 PM
Administrator

I have several posts on this topic on my blog:
https://ronconte.wordpress.com/

Overall, I think the changes are good. In some places, annulments take 1.5 to as long as 4 years. It is not so complicated a subject as to require that length of time. I also like that it is now essentially free.

There is no substitute for good judgment. The older process involved no better system for actually judging the facts of the case. We are talking about changes in procedure.

What is needed is an encyclical on Marriage that teaches what makes a marriage valid or invalid, definitively, so that annulments will not be so open to a more liberal or more conservative bias.

Another problem is that many Catholics are minimally-practicing or non-practicing, making it more difficult for the marriage to be the valid Sacrament.
Old 11th September 2015, 04:31 PM

Then, I suppose, the hope is for more clarity during the upcoming synod on the family on what makes a marriage valid or invalid.

The concern is whether there is sufficient investigation or willingness to admit validity or invalidity by the investigators. The way things are, the nature of the investigation appears to be left to the discretion or politics of the investigator. This is a dangerous place for a sacrament to be resting.

What happens if the wrong decision is made and the couple remarry other spouses? This is a decision that should be as objectively known as whether abortion is right or wrong. Any appeal to subjective interpretation could be disasterous.
Old 11th September 2015, 06:37 PM
Administrator

There is always the need for prudential judgment in this life, and that includes prudential judgment under the temporal authority of the Church. We cannot do away with everything except dogma. And the temporal authority of the Church is fallible.

Some valid marriages will unfortunately be incorrectly judged to be invalid, and vice versa. There is no way to avoid all possible error.
Old 11th September 2015, 09:48 PM
Administrator

I think many of the marriages in this sinful world nowadays are not true Sacrament of Marriage. During this period of time, many do not marry with the purpose as the Church teaches on marriage, many have not been prepared or instructed, many marry just for the emotions of the moment, and even if they marry for the love of the other, they do it in worldly terms (open to unnatural sexual acts, contraception, abortion, have cohabitated before, etc.). There are many fast (express) marriages, and so on.

God permitted polygamy (men could marry or have relationships with different women) in the O.T. because of the hardness of hearts of people, so they were not sinning when they did that during that time, but that was not supposed to be in the beginning, that was not a Sacrament. Now that we have been instructed by God Jesus how marriage is, we have no excuse of ignorance. So, when people "marry" in ignorance doing what is opposite to what a true Sacrament of marriage is, it is most likely that that union was not a Sacrament. Once these people return to the Faith and find themselves in this situation (married and remarried in ignorance), it is very hard for them not to be able to receive communion knowing that their first marriage(s) were not true. What I see the Church doing at this time is a merciful move to help these people with their situations.

It is very hard for a couple who truly married as the Church teaches (and therefore a true Sacrament of Marriage) to divorce and re-marry, knowing that they might be committing grave sins in order to do so, sins which involves grave lies (that they didn't love and planed to raise a Christian family, etc.). Some couples may separate in grave situations, but knowing the vows they did before God and witnesses when they got married, they will not re-marry.

It is very important to whoever wants to marry for real, understand and meditate the following vows seriously:

Couples may declare their consent using one of the following formulas:

if you don't agree, then don't marry. if you don't agree even at the wedding ceremony, say "I don't", everyone goes home and it will better for all.

1. I (name) take you (name) to be my wife/husband. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.

2. I (name) take you (name) for my lawful wife/husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.

The bride and groom may also use one of the following formulas in which each answers I do after the priest or deacon poses the question.

3. (Name), do you take (name) to be your wife/husband? Do you promise to be true to her/him in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, to love her/him and to honor her/him all the days of your life?I do.

4. (Name), do you take (name) for your lawful wife/husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?I do.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 24th September 2015, 04:59 PM
Administrator

I recommend this video from Bishop Barron for a guide of true Sacrament of Marriage. Especially for those seeking marriage. Watch, meditate and discern. Are you being called by God to this vocation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2fcNFHDzAE
Old 2nd November 2015, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Pope Francis on Engagement, General Audience May 27th, 2015.

This is good to discover if Marriage is your call:

https://w2.vatican.va/content/france...-generale.html