Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Apologetics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th September 2016, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Default On Pope's Authority:

Here are some good posts in Ron's blog and in EWTN on the Pope's Primacy:

https://ronconte.wordpress.com/2016/...g-into-schism/

http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/papal_primacy.htm

Also, God has appointed some people to lead, among some of them were Noah, Moses or Joshua.

Let's see the case of Moses when he was chosen by God to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt to the Promised Land.

It was God who chose Moses, it was not that Moses decided to be the leader of his people. Even Moses himself said that there could be a better person than him for God to choose (Exodus 3:11), (4:10). Moses couldn't even speak well, but doesn't matter the skills, the knowledge, the abilities, etc., what matters is that it is God who choses a particular person.

There were many Israelite people, they have multiplied a lot in the land of Egypt, yet God selected only one person to lead, not two or three or more.

Now, it is true that there was a time when Moses needed assistance, but Moses remained the sole leader (head) of all, there were not "many leaders" (Numbers 11:10-17).

Moses never lead his people away from the path to the promised land. God even told Moses that he was going to speak for Him, "like a god", meaning being a representative of Him, so "a vicar of God".

[Exodus 7]
{7:1} And the Lord said to Moses: “Behold, I have appointed you as the god of Pharaoh. And Aaron, your brother, will be your prophet.

Since God appointed Moses to lead the people of Israel, I believe that, by prevenient grace, God never permitted Moses to teach anything contrary to His doctrine because, in fact, he never did.

Moses did had his flaws, like when he struck his rod against the rock twice in order for water to flow out of it, instead of speaking to rock as God had instructed him (Numbers 20:8-12). However, this error was not doctrinal, or against God's teachings of the Law, or far enough to lead the Israelite people away from the promised land. The water did come out anyway, Moses did not enter the promised land but the Israelite people did as God has promised.

When people do not submit to this authority that God has ordered, they make their own idols of their own intelligence, ideology, or the way they think God is.

This is what happened when Moses went to Mount Sinai, people started to murmur why Moses is taking so long up there, "that's not the way God is", "let's choose a good man", Aaron (32:1) who was "Moses' prophet" (7:1), the "High Priest" (35:19) to lead us instead "the way we want it", "the way we know is good" and "the way we think the God who took us out of Egypt is" (32:4), and so they gravely sinned by making a golden calf and worshiped it (32: 2-7).

The same happens today when people think that they are smarter than the Pope (smarter than the way God do things, or God Himself). They make a golden image of their ultra-traditionalist thinking (or whatever it may be), a golden image of their understanding and limited reason. By "golden image" I also mean that these images are "untouchable" (golden precious ideas) because, to them, their own understandings, or better said, their own misunderstandings, are "infallible". But that is nothing more than a "golden calf", an idol.

Some even choose a person of "good reputation and rank" who is not in communion with the Pope who can be a Cardinal, Bishop, Priest, etc. (such as Aaron, a High Priest or prophet, in Moses' case) who has their own ideas contrary to the Pope in order to make alliances of how the Church should be ran and thus separating themselves from the Truth.

People like these are nothing more than "stiff-necked", and it is the Lord Himself calling them like that (32:9).

The Lord said:

[Matthew]
{16:18} And I say to you, that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.
{16:19} And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatever you shall bind on earth shall be bound, even in heaven. And whatever you shall release on earth shall be released, even in heaven.”

[Luke]
{22:31} And the Lord said: “Simon, Simon! Behold, Satan has asked for you, so that he may sift you like wheat.
{22:32} But I have prayed for you, so that your faith may not fail, and so that you, once converted, may confirm your brothers.”

[John]
{21:15 -7] Three times: “Feed my sheep".

The Lord Jesus built His Church on the Apostles but with Peter as the Rock and He gave to Peter the Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven, not to the twelve, but to him only and to all his successors, because Jesus said that He will be with them until the consummation of age.

[Matthew]
{28:20} teaching them to observe all that I have ever commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, even to the consummation of the age.”

And God keeps His promises just as He told Moses that He was going to be with him (Exodus 3:12), and also told Joshua, another man the Lord chose to lead.

[Joshua]
{1:5} No one will be able to resist you during all the days of your life. Just as I was with Moses, so will I be with you. I will not leave you, nor will I forsake you.

Do you think that God is going to forsake the man He choses to lead his own Church, and therefore, His own Church and anyone who is faithful to His Word?

Let's not be stiff-necked.

Grace and Peace.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 29th September 2016, 08:42 PM
Administrator

"It arises from the necessity of salvation that all the faithful of Christ are to be subject to the Roman Pontiff." -- Fifth Lateran Council

"This gift of truth and never-failing faith was therefore divinely conferred on Peter and his successors in this See so that they might discharge their exalted office for the salvation of all, and so that the whole flock of Christ might be kept away by them from the poisonous food of error and be nourished with the sustenance of heavenly doctrine." -- First Vatican Council

The faith of the Pope cannot fail, so he can never teach heresy, nor fall into the sins of apostasy or heresy or schism.
Old 17th October 2016, 12:08 AM

A blessed day Ron, are all Popes from the time of 1st millennium, truly a successor of Peter, do they not fall into what you say apostasy, heresy and schism. I asked because this is one question I always hear from protestants which I don't have answer. Also, pray for our country the Philippines.
Old 18th October 2016, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
A blessed day Ron, are all Popes from the time of 1st millennium, truly a successor of Peter, do they not fall into what you say apostasy, heresy and schism. I asked because this is one question I always hear from protestants which I don't have answer. Also, pray for our country the Philippines.

Hi Archangel,

No valid Pope can commit the sins of (or teach) heresy, schism or be an apostate for the reasons mentioned in the links on my first post above, you can also check the following article as well:

https://ronconte.wordpress.com/2016/...terial-heresy/

Now, the gift of truth and never-failing faith conferred on Peter and his successors do not apply to impostors, anti-Popes, usurpers or persons who claim to be in the Petrine office without being validly elected.
Old 21st October 2016, 02:26 PM

Thanks so much Brother, it helps a lot.
Old 5th December 2016, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Another important post:

https://ronconte.wordpress.com/2016/...udge-the-pope/