CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - Bible Study
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st June 2017, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Default Genesis 40

{40:1} While these things were going on, it happened that two eunuchs, the cupbearer of the king of Egypt, and the miller of grain, offended their lord.
{40:2} And Pharaoh, being angry with them, (now the one was in charge of the cupbearers, the other of the millers of grain)
{40:3} sent them to the prison of the leader of the military, in which Joseph also was a prisoner.
{40:4} But the keeper of the prison delivered them to Joseph, who ministered to them also. Some little time passed by, while they were held in custody.

Joseph was in this prison and he also ministered to these two new prisoners. He is at the service of others, a figure of Christ and of how we Christians should be anywhere we may be (Mark 9:34).

{40:5} And they both saw a similar dream on one night, whose interpretations should be related to one another.
{40:6} And when Joseph had entered to them in the morning, and had seen them sad,
{40:7} he consulted them, saying, “Why is your expression sadder today than usual?”
{40:8} They responded, “We have seen a dream, and there is no one to interpret it for us.” And Joseph said to them, “Doesn’t interpretation belong to God? Recount for me what you have seen.”

Notice that since interpretation belongs to God, we are not able to do it by ourselves correctly, in our own power, unless God Himself reveals it to us or give us this gift, and God has given the Magisterium of His Church the charisma of the correct interpretation of Sacred Scriptures (John 14:26) (2 Peter 3: 16-17). The many errors of Protestant Churches are due in many cases to incorrect interpretations of Sacred Scriptures.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 1st June 2017, 07:30 PM
Administrator

{40:9} The chief cupbearer explained his dream first. “I saw before me a vine,
{40:10} on which were three shoots, which grew little by little into buds, and, after the flowers, it matured into grapes.
{40:11} And the cup of Pharaoh was in my hand. Therefore, I took the grapes, and I pressed them into the cup that I held, and I handed the cup to Pharaoh.”
{40:12} Joseph responded: “This is the interpretation of the dream. The three shoots are the next three days,

This dream has many depths and meanings, of course, Joseph gave the correct interpretation for the chief cupbearer relating to what was going to happen to his particular life at that given time.

But now that the Messiah Jesus Christ has come, this dream also tell us something more.

In general, this dream means "life" for the chief cupbearer.

"One vine, three shoots" is a resemblance to God, one God, three Persons.

"which grew little by little into buds, and, after the flowers, it matured into grapes" here we see a form of transformation so this is a figure of the transubstantiation which occurs when the priest consecrates the wine (of course, the priests also consecrates the bread but this figure is more specifically about the wine [grapes]). So, immediately after the consecration, there truly exist the precious blood of our Lord Jesus Christ under the accident of wine (body, soul and Divinity of Christ are present with the blood by concomitancy).

"And the cup of Pharaoh was in my hand. Therefore, I took the grapes, and I pressed them into the cup that I held, and I handed the cup to Pharaoh.” - the cup of wine was offered to the Pharaoh and this represented life for the chief cupbearer. Similarly, the cup of the blood of our Lord Jesus Christ means life to us when it's offered to the Father and we drink of it worthily.
Old 1st June 2017, 07:32 PM
Administrator

{40:13} after which Pharaoh will remember your service, and he will restore you to your former position. And you will give him the cup according to your office, as you were accustomed to do before.
{40:14} Only remember me, when it will be well with you, and do me this mercy, to suggest to Pharaoh to lead me out of this prison.
{40:15} For I have been stolen from the land of the Hebrews, and here, innocently, I was cast into the pit.”

Notice the remembrance mentioned regarding the Pharaoh and the chief cupbearer. The Pharaoh did remember and spared the cupbearer's life but then we will see that, unfortunately, the chief cupbearer does not do justice to Joseph by remembering the help that the received.

Jesus at the First Christian Mass or Last Supper, He said "this is my Blood" - Matthew {26:27-28} And taking the chalice, he gave thanks. And he gave it to them, saying: “Drink from this, all of you. For this is my blood of the new covenant, which shall be shed for many as a remission of sins.

At Mass we are remembered to "Do this as a commemoration of Jesus" (Luke 22:19), so we should not forget what Jesus did for us, this is the New Covenant. The Pharaoh in this story did nor forget about the cupbearer so life meant for the later.
Old 1st June 2017, 07:37 PM
Administrator

{40:16} The chief miller of grain, seeing that he had wisely unraveled the dream, said: “I also saw a dream: that I had three baskets of meal above my head,
{40:17} and in one basket, which was the highest, I carried all foods that are made by the art of baking, and the birds ate from it.”

Unlike the other dream were "wine" (also fur us, a figure of the blood of Christ) represented life for the cupbearer, the "meal" on those three baskets, to me, also represent, here particularly, worldly food, temporary things, or things of this world. Let's recall that when the Israelite people were out of Egypt and in the desert, they wanted to comeback to slavery in order to fill their bellies with the meat offered there. But with the things of this world, which are temporary, we get hungry and thirsty again. Notice how even though the chief miller was carrying this meal, all this food was eaten by birds, so all the goods that he had, served as food for others and not for himself. These birds also represent astute wicked people or demons who live by "feeding" themselves with the goods of others. If we live for the pleasures of this world only, apart from God, this leads us to destruction.

{40:18} Joseph responded: “This is the interpretation of the dream. The three baskets are the next three days,
{40:19} after which Pharaoh will carry away your head, and also suspend you from a cross, and the birds will tear your flesh.”

The miller of grain had nothing to offer the Pharaoh since the birds ate the food, unlike the cupbearer who had a cup of wine. So, since the miller of grain had nothing for the Pharaoh, this sentenced his death.

{40:20} The third day thereafter was the birthday of Pharaoh. And making a great feast for his servants, he remembered, during the banquet, the chief cupbearer and the chief miller of grain.
{40:21} And he restored the one to his place, to present him the cup;
{40:22} the other he hanged on a gallows, and thus the truth of the interpreter of dreams was proven.
{40:23} And although he advanced with so much prosperity, the chief cupbearer forgot his interpreter of dreams.