CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > the Blessed Virgin Mary
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th August 2017, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Default Reflection - Who sits at Jesus' right and left hand side?

Hello everyone,

In Matthew 20:20-23 we see that the mother of the Apostles James and John (the mother of the sons of Zebedee) approached Jesus, and like many good mothers (I don't blame her), who wants the best for her children, asked Jesus if her two Apostles sons can be sited one at His right hand, and the other at His left in His Kingdom. Then Jesus answered among other things ".....But to sit at my right or my left is not mine to give to you, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father". Ever wondered who could they be?

Now, the following is my personal humble reflection, not a Church teaching, but based on Church teaching.

In the Apostles Creed we proclaim that Jesus ascended into Heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. Now, the Father is not literally an "old man" seated next to Jesus, this is a form of expression to indicate that Jesus has the power to judge and the power of God. But the term "seated at the right hand of the Father" is used.

Today that we celebrate the Feast of the Assumption of our Blessed Mother Mary, we believe that she was assumed by God into Heaven in body and soul. This was proclaimed as a dogma of Faith in 1950 by Pope Pious XII in his Apostolic Constitution "Munificentissimus Deus" (The most bountiful God). Since she was assumed into Heaven, where in Heaven she could be? Let's find out.

Jesus said that His Kingdom is not of this world (John 18:36), so He has a Kingdom and we see that, in kingdoms, particularly in the kingdom of Israel, the mother of the king was the queen and she used to sit at the king's right hand.

[1 Kings]
{2:19} Then Bathsheba went to king Solomon, so that she might speak to him on behalf of Adonijah. And the king rose up to meet her, and he reverenced her, and he sat down upon his throne. And a throne was stationed for the mother of the king, and she sat at his right hand.

Bathsheba was Solomon's mother (wife of the now deceased king David) and she sat down upon her son's throne at his right hand, throne that was already "stationed" for her to be. Therefore, since Mary is the mother of Jesus who is the King of kings (Revelation 19:16), she is the Queen, and since she is the Queen in the Heavenly Kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ, she must have her sit stationed on the throne next to her Son Jesus, at His right hand.

Cont...
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 15th August 2017, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Pope Pious XII writes in the same Apostolic Constitution where he proclaimed the dogma of the Assumption:

"Treating of this subject, they also describe her as the Queen entering triumphantly into the royal halls of heaven and sitting at the right hand of the divine Redeemer" - Munificentissimus Deus.

So, with this image of Jesus sitting at the right Hand of the Father, and Mary sitting at the right hand of Jesus, we have those two who are at Jesus' "right and left hand side" in the Heavenly Throne. From our perspective, the image is that Jesus is in the middle, Mary at the left, and the Father at the right. Would this be the image we'll see in Heaven? - at least this can be a representation as we see in frescoes shown in churches, there can also be a painting of Jesus in the middle, Mary at the left, an "old man" representing the Father at the right, and a "dove" on top of them representing the Holy Spirit.

This is just my personal reflection. Do you have any thoughts? let me know.

Grace and Peace.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26