CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th March 2018, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Default Other insights on why women cannot be priests

There are several reasons and you may already know some of them such as, God only willed men to be priests in the O.T. (priests of the Old Covenant). The twelve Apostles that Jesus selected were only men. Men and women have the same dignity for being created in the image and likeness of God, but they both have different roles, women were created to be a helper of man (Gen 2:18 ), not to act in authoritative or mandative manner over men (1 Tim 2:11-12). Jesus, our High Priest, became incarnate as a man and as such He died on the Cross to be our only Mediator between God and men. Priests act in persona-Christi. Pope St. John Paul II also taught that the Church has no authority to ordain women to the priesthood in his Apostolic Letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis, teaching that shall be definitively held by all the Church's faithful.

Now, since Jesus became incarnate as a man, all men are a living icon of Jesus Christ. With this I mean that all men have the same physical characteristics as Jesus Christ who became like all men but sin, not women who are a living icon of the Virgin Mary (a woman) and can get pregnant, but not of Jesus (a man). Also, since Jesus Christ is the Bridegroom and the Church is the Bride of Christ (Ephesians 5:22-23) (Rev 21:2 . 9), it follows that a woman cannot act as the “Bridegroom”.

Notice that in this Chapter of John, after Jesus has resurrected, He tells Mary Magdalene "Not to touch Him, for He has not ascended to the Father as yet".

{20:16} Jesus said to her, “Mary!” And turning, she said to him, “Rabboni!” (which means, Teacher).
{20:17} Jesus said to her: “Do not touch me. For I have not yet ascended to my Father. But go to my brothers and tell them: ‘I am ascending to my Father and to your Father, to my God and to your God.’ ”

But then, before His ascension, He lets Thomas touch Him.

{20:27} Next, he said to Thomas: “Look at my hands, and place your finger here; and bring your hand close, and place it at my side. And do not choose to be unbelieving, but faithful.”

This could signify another reason why women are not allowed or authorized by God into the Priesthood (not to be able to Consecrate the bread and wine and turn them into the Body and Blood of Christ as yet); however, only Jesus Christ Himself, now that He has ascended to the Father, and only Him, after He comes back from Heaven the same way He went up, can allow women into the priesthood (to "touch Him" or able to Consecrate bread and wine to turn them into His Body and Blood) if is His Holy Will.

Now some may say that Jesus let Thomas to touch Him only because he said that he will not believe that unless he touches Jesus, but notice that Jesus also let the rest of the Apostles to touch Him, not only Thomas:

[Luke]
{24:38} And he said to them: “Why are you disturbed, and why do these thoughts rise up in your hearts?
{24:39} See my hands and feet, that it is I myself. Look and touch. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones, as you see that I have.”

Jesus letting Thomas in particular to touch Him can have different level of meanings. Now, of course, Jesus let Thomas to touch Him so he can believe he that our Lord has resurrected. But furthermore, the act of Jesus letting Thomas to touch more specifically His wounds, can also be a representation that His Body and Blood be handled by an ordained man’s consecrated hands for a specific task.

The priests of the O.T. had to dip his finger into the blood of the sacrificed victim.

[Leviticus]
{4:6} and having dipped his finger into the blood, he shall sprinkle it seven times in the sight of the Lord, opposite the veil of the Sanctuary.

{14:14} And taking some of the blood of the victim, which was immolated for transgression, the priest shall place it upon the tip of the right ear of him who is being cleansed, and upon the thumb of his right hand, and likewise the foot.
{14:15} And he shall send some of the twelfth hin of oil into his own left hand,
{14:16} and he shall dip his right finger in it, and he shall sprinkle it in the sight of the Lord seven times.

[2 Chronicles]

{29:23} They brought the he-goats for sin before the king and the entire multitude. And they laid their hands upon them.
{29:24} And the priests immolated them, and they sprinkled their blood before the altar, for the expiation of all Israel. For certainly the king had instructed that the holocaust and the sin offering should be made on behalf of all Israel.

We are reminded in every Mass that Jesus has resurrected, so, after the Consecration, we eat His real Body and drink His real Blood at Communion.

God is the one who decides how is that He shall be worshipped, not men. Notice that Moses didn’t know which of the Israelite people’s animals God will pick in order to be victims for the holocausts to be prepared for Himself, so he had to leave from Egypt with ALL the animals (Exodus 10:24-26).

If men invent or create their own ways of “worshipping” God, it is blasphemous to Him (Exodus 32:1-6) (Leviticus 10:1-2) (Numbers 3:4) (2 Kings 17:24-28 . 34). The wrath of God is manifested if Holy things are not carried out as He commands (1 Chronicles 13:7 . 9-10) (1 Chronicles 15:11-13 . 15). People who are not called to the priesthood are not allowed to do rites that are authorized to priests only, not even kings (2 Chronicles 26:8-19). But God helps those who carry out His Will (1 Chronicles 15:26).

So, God has not authorized women to be priests, and we shall follow as He has ordered.

[Numbers]
{3:10} But you shall appoint Aaron and his sons over the service of the priesthood. The outsider who approaches to minister shall be put to death.”
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26