CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th January 2015, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Default Salvation theology basics

I'm offering to teach the basics of salvation theology to the members and readers of this forum. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 15th January 2015, 02:14 PM
Administrator

First topic for discussion:

1. After death, each human person is judged by God (the particular judgment). Everyone who dies in a state of grace goes to Heaven, perhaps after a temporary stay in Purgatory. Everyone who dies unrepentant from actual mortal sin goes to Hell.

Pope Pius XII: "Above all, the state of grace is absolutely necessary at the moment of death; without it, salvation and supernatural happiness -- the beatific vision of God -- are impossible." [Address to Midwives, n. 21.a.]

Pope Benedict XII: "Moreover we define that according to the general disposition of God, the souls of those who die in actual mortal sin go down into Hell immediately after death and there suffer the pain of Hell." [On the Beatific Vision of God]
Old 15th January 2015, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Yes, very interesting topic. Also, it could be made as a book or booklet in the future.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 15th January 2015, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Default Transubstantiation

This is a teaching that all Catholics should have it clear.

So, in a few words:

The Eucharist:

Transubstantiation occurs when the priest consecrates the bread and wine.

The accidents of bread and wine do not change.

The substance of the bread changes into the substance of the body ONLY, - blood, soul and Divinity of Christ are present with the body by concomitancy.

The substance of the wine changes into the substance of the blood ONLY, - body, soul and Divinity of Christ are present with the blood by concomitancy.

That's why it's called Transubstantiation = change of the substance.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 15th January 2015, 03:28 PM
Administrator

My book of salvation theology is here:
http://www.amazon.com/Forgiveness-Sa...dp/B00FDWXT94/
Old 16th January 2015, 04:41 AM

Yes I am very interested. Thank you Ron.
Old 16th January 2015, 03:51 PM

Interested as well, thank you.
-Jay
Old 16th January 2015, 04:06 PM
Administrator

OK, for those who are interested. Let's begin by discussing this post:
A Primer on Roman Catholic Salvation Theology
https://ronconte.wordpress.com/2015/...tion-theology/

I'll put the lengthy material on the blog, and then we can discuss the points in this forum. Please keep the discussion going by asking questions.
Old 16th January 2015, 07:02 PM

I would argue that although possible, it would be extremely rare for non-Christian believers and unbelievers to be saved. Meeting the requirements of obtaining a baptism of desire or blood, avoiding all actual mortal sin and repenting with perfect contrition just doesn’t seem likely, particularly for unbelievers. Each of those requirements calls for a deep love of God and/or neighbor. That kind of love just seems rare outside of Christianity. Perfect contrition isn’t possible without God initiating that type of grace within us. It’s much more human to experience imperfect contrition out of fear of Hell. Unfortunately, imperfect contrition outside of the Sacrament of Reconciliation doesn’t put us back into the state of grace.

I’ve always had a difficult time understanding and accepting the concept of “invincible ignorance”. Although I don’t doubt this teaching, I just think that if someone really prayed for truth that God would put them on the right path. When does one cross the line from invincible ignorance to stubbornness in accepting the truth?
Old 16th January 2015, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonCatholic View Post
I would argue that although possible, it would be extremely rare for non-Christian believers and unbelievers to be saved. Meeting the requirements of obtaining a baptism of desire or blood, avoiding all actual mortal sin and repenting with perfect contrition just doesn’t seem likely, particularly for unbelievers. Each of those requirements calls for a deep love of God and/or neighbor. That kind of love just seems rare outside of Christianity. Perfect contrition isn’t possible without God initiating that type of grace within us. It’s much more human to experience imperfect contrition out of fear of Hell. Unfortunately, imperfect contrition outside of the Sacrament of Reconciliation doesn’t put us back into the state of grace.

At Medjugorje, Mary said: "The majority of people go to Purgatory. Many go to hell. A small number go directly to Heaven."

Your proposal that salvation is rare outside of Christianity is incompatible with the mercy of God, the universal salvific will of God, and the teaching of Vatican II on the good found in other religions. Also, note that prior to Christianity, persons were only able to be saved by a baptism of desire or blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonCatholic View Post
I’ve always had a difficult time understanding and accepting the concept of “invincible ignorance”. Although I don’t doubt this teaching, I just think that if someone really prayed for truth that God would put them on the right path. When does one cross the line from invincible ignorance to stubbornness in accepting the truth?

God only can judge each conscience. Have you never met a non-Christian who was a good person, who truly cared for the sick and needy, who loved his neighbor? We cannot be certain who is in a state of grace, but there are enough examples of non-Christians who love others to say that salvation outside the visible structures of the Church is not rare.

Invincible ignorance occurs frequently among Catholics, when they are ignorant or have misunderstood a teaching of the Church on a matter of faith or morals. They might not be fully culpable for their refusal to accept that teaching.

Similarly, a Jew or Muslim might not be culpable to the extent of actual mortal sin, for refusing to convert to Christianity. Most Christians are not shining paragons of virtue, leading non-Christians to doubt that Christianity is the Way to Heaven.