CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Ecumenism > Catholics and other Christians
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st November 2011, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Default Baptist U. requires statement of faith

"Shorter University, a private Christian university in Rome, Ga., is forcing its 200 employees to sign a "personal lifestyle statement" rejecting pre-martial sex, adultery and homosexuality or risk getting fired, WSB-TV reports."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/31...homosexuality/

see the attached 'personal lifestyle statement'
Attached Images
File Type: pdf personal_lifestyle_statement.pdf (209.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 1st November 2011, 12:34 PM
Administrator

"Personal Lifestyle Statement

"A. Christian Commitment and Membership in a Local Church
Shorter University will hire persons who are committed Bible believing Christians, who are dedicated to integrating biblical faith in their classes and who are in agreement with the University Statement of Faith. Moreover, employees are expected to be active members of a local church.

"B. Principles of Personal Conduct

"I agree to adhere to and support the following principles (on or off the campus):

"1. I will be loyal to the mission of Shorter University as a Christ-centered institution affiliated with the Georgia Baptist Convention.

"2. I will not engage in the use, sale, possession, or production of illegal drugs.

"3. I reject as acceptable all sexual activity not in agreement with the Bible, including, but not limited to, premarital sex, adultery, and homosexuality.

"4. I will not use alcoholic beverages in the presence of students, and I will abstain from serving, from using, and from advocating the use of alcoholic beverages in public (e.g. in locations that are open to use by the general public, including as some examples restaurants, concert venues, stadiums, and sports facilities) and in settings in which students are present or are likely to be present. I will not attend any University sponsored event in which I have consumed alcohol within the last six hours. Neither will I promote or encourage the use of alcohol.

"I have read and agree with the Personal Lifestyle Statement and will adhere to it in its entirety while employed at Shorter University. I understand that failure to adhere to this statement may result in disciplinary action against me, up to and including immediate termination."
Old 1st November 2011, 12:36 PM
Administrator

I wish that all Catholic universities and colleges would do something similar, especially for teachers and students. But I'm not convinced that all employees of a Catholic institution need to be Catholic.

Of course, a major obstacle to this approach would be that Catholics do not agree on what their own Church teaches, and many Catholics do not believe or adhere, even to what they think the Church teaches.
Old 1st November 2011, 04:02 PM
supporting member

I had to sign a similar statement when I was teaching at Westmont College, a Christian liberal arts college.

My husband tells me that Westmont has been banned from the APA (American Philosophical Association) and cannot announce job searches for faculty positions through the APA as a result of Westmont's community life statement.

The same thing would happen to Catholic universities and colleges were they to require such a statement. While it might not matter to a small Christian college, some of the larger Catholic universities would suffer, as they tend to hire philosophers and other scholars that are more analytical, and if the positions were not announced by the APA (or other academic associations), then these positions would not necessarily go to the most highly qualified candidate, because these candidates would not hear about the positions. Also, these scholars would not consider applying, because it would ruin their careers in academia. It is an unfortunate result of how sinful our society has become.
Old 1st November 2011, 04:34 PM
Administrator

I think that the good done by requiring such a statement far outweighs the harm. But in the current situation, there are probably not enough faithful Catholics, who are also qualified to teach, so that every Catholic college and U. could impose such a requirement.

Apostates and heretics who call themselves Catholic far outnumber the faithful in the Church today.