CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th January 2006, 09:39 PM
DiAZ216

Default walking with God

Ron,

"And Enoch walked with God." (Genisis 5:22, CPDV)

Literally? Today, we might use the expression -- walk with God -- figuratively, to refer to a person spiritually, to a person living an upright,virtuous life. Is this the meaning in this verse. Or in ancient days, did the Lord literally physically walk with certain individuals?

Earlier, in the description of the Fall from Grace, Adam and Eve hear "...the voice of the Lord God taking a walk in Paradise." (Genisis 3:8, CPDV) Of course I understand how this applies to each of us idividually, of how we were created by God for God; how our true end and happiness is to seek Him, to seek to know Him, and to long to walk with Him in Paradise; and how our sin seperates us from Him. Certainly, Adam and Eve, before the Fall, knew God in ways we cannot comprehend. But I've always taken this passage to mean that the Lord God literally walked with our first parents in the Garden, before the Fall, while they were still in the fullness of God's grace. Is this correct?

Darrell
Old 30th January 2006, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Default walked with God

I think the expression 'Enoch walked with God' is figurative.
Likewise for the reference to God walking in the garden of Paradise.