CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Coffee House
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th February 2008, 01:50 PM

Default Lent starts tomorrow: Ash Wednesday

So tomorrow we start lent. It seems that lately I been thinking about the warning almost everyday and what it would be like. This is our last lent before the warning occurs (without counting next years).
During mass this morning the priest remind us to make a list of the things we want to give up so we can keep our goal in check and committed to it.

Have you make your list yet? If so, would you like to share it? I need new ideas on what to put in mine. I was thinking of getting a jar and putting different pieces of paper on what to give up that day during the next 40 days. I think this will be a true challenge for me and what I need.

P.S. I do not like chocolate, so it does not count for me, or smoke or drink.

God Bless,

MA
Old 5th February 2008, 04:27 PM

The biggest thing for me would be to limit my internet access to 1/2 hour or 1 hour a day. I tend to be an internet junkie. The more I can limit my internet access the more time I will have for prayer, reading the bible, etc. It is going to be difficult though, but it would be the best thing for me.
Old 5th February 2008, 11:27 PM

'Giving up' is always good, if it requires true sacrifice. But 'giving' is something to think about too......sort of a pay it forward notion. In school today we stressed this with the kiddos. Doing something, rather than NOT doing something is also sacrificial. As for me, I am hoping to present in front of the Blessed Sacrament at 3 o'clock, Divine Mercy Hour, for as many days that I am able.

Joey
Old 6th February 2008, 07:23 PM

Our pastor - Fr. Larry Richards...some may know him because he travels all over the country - gave a great homily on Sunday about 'what to give up'. He talked about the three things - prayer, fasting and almsgiving. He focused on how to do what God really wants us to do for Lent....to spend time with Him and see what He wants. He said God will always tell you that He wants more of your time for Him. He said a great fasting is fasting of our time... that was great for me because I already knew what God was telling me to do...to get up much earlier and spend time with Him, in quiet, prayer and Scripture.
Here is his homily - he's an amazing preacher...
http://www.thereasonforourhope.org/m...r/homilies.php

God bless to all and may we all grow closer to Him during this Lenten time.
Lauren
Old 7th February 2008, 06:14 PM

Lent came quickly this year. Yesterday I learned the word Lent means spring. Boy did God play a joke on us yesterday we got over a foot of snow! Anyhow it was interesting when I recieved my ashes from the priest he said:

"Turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel."

instead of

"Remember that you are dust and to dust you will return."

Both of course very fitting.
Old 7th February 2008, 07:16 PM

The priest I went to for my ashes said the same thing. I had never heard that before. This church is near my work so I go there for holy days at lunch.
Old 7th February 2008, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus Areopagite View Post
Anyhow it was interesting when I recieved my ashes from the priest he said:

"Turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel."

instead of

"Remember that you are dust and to dust you will return."

Both of course very fitting.

Our Pastor told the parishioners: "Convert and be faithful to the Gospel" (which is basically the same); but it's interesting that you noticed the change from previews Ash wednesdays. I knew there was something new to me there.