CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Coffee House
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd March 2008, 10:54 PM

Default Happy Easter

Blessed Easter to all, may the resurrection of Christ console your spirit and soul.

Roberto
For to me, to live is Christ; and to die is gain (Phil 1:21)
Old 23rd March 2008, 05:24 AM

Christ is risen, alleluia!
Old 23rd March 2008, 10:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Therese

A happy easter to all from the land down under, there has been some good rain in some parts of Australia, that is finally starting to break the drought[the worst here for 100 years]. Regards, Therese.
Old 23rd March 2008, 01:26 PM
themilitantcatholic

Australia sounds like paradise to me right about now, considering the cold winter weather we are having this year in Chicago. I'm going to the 10:30AM mass, then I will come home and put a turkey on the grill outside. Another Easter is upon us, three months have gone by in this year, a quarter of the year has passed us already, it seems as though the months pass by as days. I hope everyone enjoys their Easter celebrations today.
Old 23rd March 2008, 02:03 PM
supporting member

Default The Significance of the Moment

To me, Easter is the season of HOPE. Christ suffered.....and we can all readily relate to suffering. But Christ resurrected.....and therin lies our hope. We are living in a time of "watershed events". These are events that drive people in one direction or the other. It stikes me as a slow motion movie of the end times events.....the wheat from the chaff.....the sheep from the goats. Ron posted an article on a Candian Pastor who now preaches that there is no God and the Bible is irrelevant (Chaff). But last night we Baptized three new Catholics into our parish and 10 people were confirmed and made their first Holy Communion. What a joyful scene, and I know that it was being repeated all over the world (Wheat).

This Easter is a time for reflection on the times that we are living through, and to recognize that events everywhere are seperating the wheat from the chaff. Let us "gird our loins" and continue to search for the Truth in every event and in every day.
Old 23rd March 2008, 02:37 PM
Michael

Happy Easter to all! I was fortunate enough to attend the Easter Tridium this year. Our new pastor was extraordinary in teaching the word and the traditions. I am so happy to have participated. We are now off to my parents to celebrate. Jesus Lives!!
Old 24th March 2008, 06:48 PM

Happy Easter from Wisconsin! On Good Friday we got blizzard! In Milwauke we got 16 inches of snow!
Old 25th March 2008, 01:09 AM
Matthias

Default Good Friday

Every year around this time I wonder why 'Good Friday' is not a holy day of obligation (at least it is not in the USA; I don't know about elsewhere in the world). After all, Good Friday commemorates Christ's death and redemption of humanity - the basis for much of the Christian faith - so why hasn't it been formalized as a holy day of obligation? I am thinking that there must be some theological reason. I thank in advance Ron (or anyone else) who knows the answer.
Old 25th March 2008, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
Every year around this time I wonder why 'Good Friday' is not a holy day of obligation (at least it is not in the USA; I don't know about elsewhere in the world). After all, Good Friday commemorates Christ's death and redemption of humanity - the basis for much of the Christian faith - so why hasn't it been formalized as a holy day of obligation? I am thinking that there must be some theological reason. I thank in advance Ron (or anyone else) who knows the answer.

I think that for a good Catholic, has to be a day of obligation (unless necessary circumstances lead us to work that day).

I also think that a Catholic leader should propose the days of obligation starting Holy Thursday so to complete the Triduum, and no sporting events should be played during those days, especially on Good Friday.
Old 25th March 2008, 07:50 PM
themilitantcatholic

Speaking for the U.S., we have been programmed into a sort of "puritanical work ethic" where we get the holiday celebration over with in a day, then quickly return to work. I agree that we should celebrate from Holy Thursday to Easter Sunday, with much emphasis on Good Friday.