CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Coffee House
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th December 2006, 12:52 PM
covakid

Default Mother Angelica " Nun of the Media"

Hi

I have really found Mother Angelica a help in my life, I have been down there 5 times and feel very blessed to meet Mother once, she could'nt speak, but her eyes spoke volumes. I read the book too, it's really a network of Miracles, I really enjoyed reading it and in fact I read aloud to lady I visit in a nursing home, we both liked it very much, she about the same age as Mother and could to related to many things Mother went through growing up.

I have been helping out an artist freind of mine named Mark Sanislo and he has a painting he did of Mother and it's hanging down in Hanceville, AL.

Many do not know about this so just wanted to pass this on to people like yourselvles There are prints and magnets, below is a little link to a store through an artist site, if you have some time take a look.

Thank you for your time

God Bless
Bernard

Store of Religious Works of Art by Mark
Mark Sanislo's Home Page
Audio Archives of Mother Angelica Live
Audio Homilies by Fr. Angelus
The Book: MOTHER ANGELICA:A Netowork of Miracles

Mother Angelica "Nun of the Media"

In 1981 a cloistered nun named Mother Angelica, using merely entrepreneurial instincts and a steadfast faith in God created what would become the world's largest religious media empire in the garage of a her monastery located in the hills of Birmingham, Al.

The Eternal Television Network grew at a staggering pace, both in people tuning in and in sharing the message of God, to where it now reaches over a hundred million viewers in hundreds of countries around the globe.

This portrait “Nun of the Media” tries to capture the story of this extraordinary nun, Mother Angelica, who is known and loved by the many that tune into "Mother Angelica Live" on the EWTN Network.

The portrait also manifests the power of prayer which comes from the Poor Clare Nuns of Perpetual Adoration who have backed up Mother's global media work. Mother herself is seen at the switchboard of Eternal Word Television Network with her Rosary in hand.

The painting also encompasses the satellite dishes and shortwave radio towers of EWTN that make it Global Catholic Network.

Behind the nuns, in the center of the piazza stands the The Monument of the Divine Child Jesus (El Divino Niño). It Serves as a symbol of the eager love of our God, the Child Jesus offers His Heart to all who approach Him, "Prophecy of Isaiah (11:6): “. and a little Child shall lead them”

Behind El Divino Niño is the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament, a Temple consecrated to Almighty God, open to people of all faiths.

Visitors often remark that this Temple is “a true oasis of silence and peace.” Mother Angelica explains that “when you come into the Temple you are in the Presence of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.” She prays that each person who enters will be aware of this great and wonderful reality.

Evangelize through Art By Fr. Robert J. Fox
Letter to To Artists from His Holiness Pope John Paul II
Old 13th December 2006, 03:58 PM
logue

I have been in broadcasting 12 years and can appreciate the work Mother has done to build EWTN. To build a cable network as well as produce and appear on TV shows all while in a cloister is a challenge. Catholic programming probably isn't appealing to most people (including Catholics) and she made it work. The reason, in my opinion, why her show is so popular is because of her. She's not trained to be on TV so she just appears as herself and you get an honest, compelling program. The network is a reflection of her.

I would like to get people's opinion on whether she should have a cause for beatification once "Mother Angelica Live" moves to the soundstage in the sky. I think she should. Us broadcasters need a patron saint!
Old 22nd December 2006, 11:56 PM
CRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by logue View Post
I have been in broadcasting 12 years and can appreciate the work Mother has done to build EWTN. To build a cable network as well as produce and appear on TV shows all while in a cloister is a challenge. Catholic programming probably isn't appealing to most people (including Catholics) and she made it work. The reason, in my opinion, why her show is so popular is because of her. She's not trained to be on TV so she just appears as herself and you get an honest, compelling program. The network is a reflection of her.

I would like to get people's opinion on whether she should have a cause for beatification once "Mother Angelica Live" moves to the soundstage in the sky. I think she should. Us broadcasters need a patron saint!

I for one would certainly consider her a saint. However, after reading Raymond Arroyo's Mother Angelica book, The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles, I believe the USCCB or at least some of the US Bishops will strongly oppose her. Just MHO.
Old 26th December 2006, 04:00 AM
logue

I'm not familiar with those details. I just know she founded a monastery and the largest Catholic media outlet. A cloistered nun just doesn't do that without divine intervention. I'll have to get the book and read up on it.
Old 26th December 2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logue View Post
I'm not familiar with those details. I just know she founded a monastery and the largest Catholic media outlet. A cloistered nun just doesn't do that without divine intervention. I'll have to get the book and read up on it.

She helped me with my Catholic Conversion. She is a Saint in my book. God Blessed her.
Old 27th December 2006, 01:41 AM

I also had a "conversion" of sorts through Mother Angelica. I don't have much time at all for TV but one day about two years ago I was flipping through the channels ahd happened upon EWTN and Mother Angelica. I had maybe seen her once before but starting listening to her discussion. It was on abortion. Since I'm a cradle to grave Catholic, I always knew abortion was wrong and of course I would never have one but in truth I never gave it too much thought. While listening to her it was almost as if the Holy Spirit through her spoke to me and instantly I knew how wrong and grave abortion was. I was made to understand in the blink of an eye. Now I pray just about every day for an end to abortion. Any of the Bible verses I read such as that God knew us before we are born, take on a completely new meaning with a much deeper understanding. I never attributed Mother Angelica to this conversion of heart but maybe somehow she deserves "credit" for it and time will tell if she worthy to be called saint.
Old 24th January 2007, 07:23 AM
MarieM

Default Mother Angelica

I love EWTN. I usually watch kids' shows, but, sometimes I get to have the remote and I flip to EWTN and I always find such comfort and wisdom and God there.
I especially love Reflections. I am not sure who the priest is, he has an accent, but, I love him.

God Bless,
Marie
Old 25th January 2007, 01:50 PM

One of my favorite shows on EWTN is the divine mercy chaplet on Saturdays. There are two versions of the chaplet sung, and only on Saturday is this particular version showed. Me and my wife sing it all week long! I just tried to download it from there site, but apparently the song is copyright protected and must be purchased for $10.

They just played a program on natural family planning, with 1 woman and two men discussing the impact of pre-marital sex, contraception, etc. I really learned alot about how this impacts the closeness between the husband and wife. I really got alot out of the show.

I am getting ready to switch from Comcast over to Verizon TV. I am excited because Comcast only has EWTN, while Verizon has 6 or 7 Religion channels. One of them is Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN), which I think I read somewhere that they are doing a Christian Music version of American Idol... I can't wait!!
Old 25th January 2007, 02:50 PM

Direct TV also has many christians channels, even though I only stick w/ EWTN.

God bless,

MA.
Old 29th January 2007, 05:37 AM
MarieM

js1975,
I also love, love, love the song version of the Divine Mercy Chaplet on EWTN.

It is haunting, unforgettable and filled with the Holy Spirit. Wonderful.

I didn't know you had to buy it, but, I think it is so inspired and beautiful it is worth it. When I hear it I think that the Angels must have composed it and God led those wonderful people with those beautiful voices and love of Him to give it His glory!

God Bless,
Marie