CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Prayer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th September 2006, 01:04 AM
Joan

Default Translation Project

Genesis 1]
{1:1} In the beginning, God created heaven and earth.
{1:2} But the earth was empty and unoccupied, and darknesses were over the face of the abyss; and so the Spirit of God was brought over the waters.
{1:3} And God said, “Let there be light.” And light became.
{1:4} And God saw the light, that it was good; and so he divided the light from the darknesses.

Ron, you have certainly immersed yourself in God's Word, with scholarship and focus. I select this short, simple passage which strangely has always been my favorite, it moves my heart and fills me with comfort--Genesis is full of mystery and beauty to me!

Right alongside the traditional phrasing there is a unique phrasing of the event as well. Are you finding better English words to convey the meaning of original Latin words that appear, or, are you using some other approach to arrive at the selection of the words listed below:

1 darknesses {plural}
2 abyss {the face of the deep, meaning oceans in my imagination, but perhaps not? was the abyss deep canyons and craters?}
3 the Spirit of God was brought over the waters {a subtle distinction, brought over, by Another Person of the Trinity? and not abyss this time, waters?}

Thank you,
Old 8th September 2006, 12:11 PM
Administrator

1 darknesses {plural}
The word tenebrae (darknesses) in Latin is in the plural. I think that on one level of meaning the darknesses refer to fallen angels.

2 abyss {the face of the deep, meaning oceans in my imagination, but perhaps not? was the abyss deep canyons and craters?}

The word in Latin is abyssi, so a translation of abyss is natural.
The word in the Bible can refer to depths of ocean or of the earth, but I think on another level it can refer to Hell.
darknesses were over the face of the abyss
i.e. referring to fallen angels and Hell

profundum (Psalms 68:16) is translated as 'the deep'.

3 the Spirit of God was brought over the waters {a subtle distinction, brought over, by Another Person of the Trinity? and not abyss this time, waters?}

ferebatur is imperfect passive tense, hence 'was brought'. Yes, I like your interpretation that the Father or the Father and Son sent the Spirit over the waters (water being associated with life).

Some further commentary here:
http://www.sacredbible.org/studybible/OT-01_Genesis.htm
Old 8th September 2006, 12:41 PM
Joan

Thank you for the link to study Bible portion of the translation, it is very interesting. Perhaps, as you suggest, the different levels of meaning for 'abyssi' do come into play, during different phases of what transpired? Also for 'darknesses' i.e., more than one kind of darkness is referred to as you suggest.

When I read your translation of God's Holy Spirit 'brought over' rather than 'hovered over' as I was used to--actually I thought of a sheet brought over, to cover something--then we see the specific reference to waters. God used waters of the great Noahic Flood to cleanse the earth of wickedness later on in Genesis.

I digress, but ::sighs:: that's half the fun...