CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Prayer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st August 2006, 02:58 AM
Joan

Default From Scotland to the Sahara: Sharia Law, Chattel Slavery and Forced Marriage

Here are two excerpts from today’s international news.

I will be praying for all who fall under the scourge of jihad, especially helpless, innocent and harmless little children, girls, refugees and destitute. Brutal militias have preyed unmercifully and unhindered on the unarmed people, stranded in camps at Darfur, Sudan. I pray that the Holy Spirit will arouse and move the hearts also of the righteous among the Islamic people, moving such persons step by step, closer to courage and light--for they too are silenced. Prayer and repentance, courage, and love of truth must be rekindled wherever it is flickering—and we must find ways to inspire and rally others, each in our own way, as God places it in our power.

Muslim father abducts pre-teen daughter
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...ds/5294498.stm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082900396.html
Sudanese Islamists threaten to fight U.N. Darfur force Excerpt: KHARTOUM (Reuters) - Sudanese Islamist leaders say they will take up arms against United Nations peacekeepers if they deploy to Darfur, and some have warned they will also fight the Khartoum government if it agrees to the force. The threats conjure up a disturbing image of more bloodshed in the western Darfur region, where tens of thousands of people have been killed in more than three years of conflict, described as "genocide" by the United States.

St. Josephine, please intercede for the people of Sudan for all who are suffering and captive.

Excerpted from Other Sources:
Saint Josephine Bakhita, Patron Saint of Sudan

“One day I unwittingly made a mistake that incensed the master's son. He became furious, snatched me violently from my hiding place, and began to strike me ferociously with the lash and his feet. Finally he left me half dead, completely unconscious. Some slaves carried me away and lay me on a straw mat, where I remained for over a month.

A woman skilled in this cruel art [tattooing] came to the general's house...our mistress stood behind us, whip in hand. The woman had a dish of white flour, a dish of salt and a razor... When she had made her patterns, the woman took the razor and made incisions along the lines. Salt was poured into each of the wounds... My face was spared, but 6 patterns were designed on my breasts, and 60 more on my belly and arms. I thought I would die, especially when salt was poured in the wounds...it was by a miracle of God I didn't die. He had destined me for better things.”
---Saint Josephine Bakhita, describing some miseries during her time as a slave of the Arab Muslim rulers of Sudan

Comment:
Josephine's body was mutilated by those who enslaved her, but they could not touch her inner spirit. Her Baptism set her on an eventual path toward asserting her civic freedom and then service to God's people as a Canossian sister.
She who worked under many "masters" was finally happy to address God as "master" and carry out everything that she believed to be God's will for her.

Quote:
During his homily at her canonization Mass in St. Peter's Square, Pope John Paul II said that in St. Josephine Bakhita, "We find a shining advocate of genuine emancipation. The history of her life inspires not passive acceptance but the firm resolve to work effectively to free girls and women from oppression and violence, and to return them to their dignity in the full exercise of their rights."

Last edited by Joan : 9th September 2006 at 01:39 PM. Reason: brevity
Old 1st September 2006, 02:11 AM
Mario

Default Prayer Warriors

Joan,

I join you in this holy endeavor.

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!
Old 1st September 2006, 03:10 AM
Joan

Mario, thank you