CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - moral theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th May 2010, 09:05 AM
jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
In my book CCE, I estimate that there are approx. 1 million frozen human embryos in the world.

Am I the only one praying for these poor souls of human beings conceived through artificial procreation and frozen with little or no hope of ever being born?

Ron your statement comes as a surprise to me. I did not think that frozen embryos were real human persons since they were concieved outside the womb and not by natural process. Is there a church teaching on this type of procreation that defines such embryos as human persons with souls.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Even if a human embryo is created outside the womb, by artificial means, the being created is a human person, with a body and soul, deserving of the same right to life as all other innocent human persons.

Donum Vitae: "Thus the fruit of human generation, from the first moment of its existence, that is to say from the moment the zygote has formed, demands the unconditional respect that is morally due to the human being in his bodily and spiritual totality. The human being is to be respected and treated as a person from the moment of conception; and therefore from that same moment his rights as a person must be recognized, among which in the first place is the inviolable right of every innocent human being to life.... It has already been recalled that, in the circumstances in which it is regularly practised, IVF and ET involves the destruction of human beings, which is something contrary to the doctrine on the illicitness of abortion previously mentioned."

Evangelium Vitae: "it must nonetheless be stated that the use of human embryos or fetuses as an object of experimentation constitutes a crime against their dignity as human beings who have a right to the same respect owed to a child once born, just as to every person. This moral condemnation also regards procedures that exploit living human embryos and fetuses-sometimes specifically "produced" for this purpose by in vitro fertilization-either to be used as "biological material" or as providers of organs or tissue for transplants in the treatment of certain diseases. The killing of innocent human creatures, even if carried out to help others, constitutes an absolutely unacceptable act."

So even if the human person is created by in vitro fertilization, the prenatal is a human person from the moment of conception.
Old 24th May 2010, 03:38 PM
jack

Quote:
Even if a human embryo is created outside the womb, by artificial means, the being created is a human person, with a body and soul, deserving of the same right to life as all other innocent human persons.

Donum Vitae: "Thus the fruit of human generation, from the first moment of its existence, that is to say from the moment the zygote has formed, demands the unconditional respect that is morally due to the human being in his bodily and spiritual totality. The human being is to be respected and treated as a person from the moment of conception; and therefore from that same moment his rights as a person must be recognized, among which in the first place is the inviolable right of every innocent human being to life.... It has already been recalled that, in the circumstances in which it is regularly practised, IVF and ET involves the destruction of human beings, which is something contrary to the doctrine on the illicitness of abortion previously mentioned."

Evangelium Vitae: "it must nonetheless be stated that the use of human embryos or fetuses as an object of experimentation constitutes a crime against their dignity as human beings who have a right to the same respect owed to a child once born, just as to every person. This moral condemnation also regards procedures that exploit living human embryos and fetuses-sometimes specifically "produced" for this purpose by in vitro fertilization-either to be used as "biological material" or as providers of organs or tissue for transplants in the treatment of certain diseases. The killing of innocent human creatures, even if carried out to help others, constitutes an absolutely unacceptable act."

So even if the human person is created by in vitro fertilization, the prenatal is a human person from the moment of conception.

Thankyou for the explanation. It clears my doubt.
Old 18th August 2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
In my book CCE, I estimate that there are approx. 1 million frozen human embryos in the world.

Am I the only one praying for these poor souls of human beings conceived through artificial procreation and frozen with little or no hope of ever being born?

I have included in my daily prayers these human souls, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.