CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - moral theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd September 2010, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Default prevenient grace

Are there any questions about prevenient actual grace and its distinction from subsequent actual grace?

Would anyone like to attempt an explanation of these points?
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:21 PM

Yes, please, Ron, if you could briefly explain each term. Thanks.
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Habitual grace (sanctifying grace) is the grace to be good. It is the grace given at Baptism (or when a person receives a baptism of desire). All persons who are in a state of grace have habitual grace (sanctifying grace) continually. Only an actual mortal sin can cause the state of grace to be lost.

Actual grace is the grace to do good. Persons who are in a state of grace, and persons who are not in a state of grace, even persons who are in a state of unrepentant actual mortal sin, are all recipients of actual graces.

There are two types of actual grace:

1. prevenient grace, also called operating grace - this is the grace given by God to enlighten our intellect and to enable our will so that we are able to freely choose to cooperate with subsequent grace, or to freely refuse to cooperate with subsequent grace.

There is no cooperation of the free will with prevenient grace; God is operating (acting alone) on the will, prior to any possibility of cooperation. All persons receive prevenient actual graces innumerable times in their lives, such that no one can say about any sin that he lacked the grace to freely choose not to sin, or not to repent from past sin.

2. subsequent grace, also called cooperating grace - this is the grace given by God to work with our free will to do good. God's grace is infallible and all-powerful, so how can his grace seem to fail in some persons, such that they do not choose to do good? It is because our all-powerful God humbly submits himself to our free will, so that our good acts will be truly free. Every good act in cooperation with grace is in essence an act of love of God and neighbor. But love is not truly love unless it is truly free. So God does not work His grace in such a manner that no one is permitted to sin in this life. Rather, he allows us the free choice.
Old 4th September 2010, 12:32 PM
Administrator

According to St. Thomas, actual grace is "a movement of the soul" and sanctifying grace is "a quality of the soul." (Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica, I-II, Q. 100, A. 2.)

Catholic Encyclopedia: "Actual grace…is granted by God for the performance of salutary acts and is present and disappears with the action itself. Its opposite, therefore, is…habitual grace, which causes a state of holiness, so that the mutual relations between these two kinds of grace are the relation between action and state…." (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06689x.htm)
Old 19th September 2010, 06:35 PM

Thanks mr. Conte for this very important topic. I want to know, what God means when he said , I choose you to give you my grace!
Old 19th September 2010, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filotea View Post
Thanks mr. Conte for this very important topic. I want to know, what God means when he said , I choose you to give you my grace!

God chooses particular graces for each person, in accord with their needs, their gifts, and their free will response to grace.
Old 20th September 2010, 09:20 PM

Did God choose people in particular to save them by his special grace?
Old 20th September 2010, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filotea View Post
Did God choose people in particular to save them by his special grace?

God chooses to save everyone. Only those souls are lost who themselves choose not to be saved, and they make this choice by rejecting the love of God and neighbor that God offers to all in grace.