CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - moral theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th July 2008, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1975 View Post
Ron,

To further test my understanding, wouldn't exercise (going to the gym) be considered physical evil, and if done excessively even a possible moral evil?

thanks!
jay

I don't understand the reasoning here. Unless one exercises to the point of physical harm, why would it be considered physical evil. Excessive exercise seems more like an imperfection, rather than a sin.
Old 11th July 2008, 02:37 AM

Ron,

I guess my line of thought was that exercise is an imperfection. I exercise to stay healthy. If not for the fall, would I still need to exercise? I am assuming that I would not, because I would not be capable of sin, and also death would not exist. Therefore, the gym could be considered an imperfection, right?

peace,
jay
Old 11th July 2008, 03:16 AM
Administrator

So a better way of expressing that idea would be:

the need to exercise is due to bodily imperfections that result from the fall

But that would be classified as a 'metaphysical evil' i.e. an imperfection, not a physical evil. And specifically, it is the need of the body to exercise that is the imperfection. Going to the gym in order to take good care of your body would be a good act, not an imperfect act.

Similarly, death is a physical evil, but Christ dying for our salvation is a very great good.
Old 11th July 2008, 01:01 PM

Thanks, I understand much better.
Old 1st September 2010, 04:35 AM

Ron.

how about the humanity of our Lord Jesus and the Blessed Virgin Mary, they are not in fallen state do they have this metaphysical evil? why is it they don't have imperfections?
Old 1st September 2010, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by myLivingBread View Post
Ron.

how about the humanity of our Lord Jesus and the Blessed Virgin Mary, they are not in fallen state do they have this metaphysical evil? why is it they don't have imperfections?

Jesus and Mary have no sin at all, so they have no moral evil.

They are each perfect in their human nature, imperfections are a type of physical evil. But suffering is also a type of physical evil, so they both endured the physical evil of suffering in their lives.

The human nature of Jesus and of Mary are each finite, so this is metaphysical evil.

Only the Divine Nature is not metaphysically evil.