CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - moral theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th August 2010, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Default Examination of conscience

Pope John Paul II: "First of all, an indispensable condition is the rectitude and clarity of the penitent's conscience. People cannot come to true and genuine repentance until they realize that sin is contrary to the ethical norm written in their innermost being; until they admit that they have had a personal and responsible experience of this contrast; until they say not only that 'sin exists' but also 'I have sinned'; until they admit that sin has introduced a division into their consciences which then pervades their whole being and separates them from God and from their brothers and sisters."

There are many different methods that may be used to examine the conscience. I suggest some different methods in my book. What is important is the end result of each method, to discover one's sin, to repent, to confess, to do penance, and to avoid such sins in the future.

Many Catholics do not do any type of examination of conscience. As a result, they do not discover all their sins, but instead continue to sin. They move further from God over time, as their sins build up. Soon they stop going to confession all together. They are moving away from God because they do not want to face the sins of their lives.

[Psalm 50] (51)
{50:1} Unto the end. A Psalm of David,
{50:2} when Nathan the prophet came to him, after he went to Bathsheba.
{50:3} Be merciful to me, O God, according to your great mercy. And, according to the plentitude of your compassion, wipe out my iniquity.
{50:4} Wash me once again from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
{50:5} For I know my iniquity, and my sin is ever before me.
{50:6} Against you only have I sinned, and I have done evil before your eyes. And so, you are justified in your words, and you will prevail when you give judgment.

The Catechism of Catholic Ethics: A work of Roman Catholic moral theology
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0980224969/
Old 8th August 2010, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Pope Benedict XVI: "Faith, which grants a share in God's perfect knowledge, helps reason to realize its full potential."