CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd October 2009, 02:29 AM
supporting member

Default Crown Ministries

I have a question about "biblical financial principles" as taught by Crown Ministries which was founded 30 years ago by Protestants:

http://crown.org/

When I was going through RCIA about 12 years ago, there was a couple at my parish who taught the 12-week course developed by Crown Ministries.

One of the key principles, I understand, is that one needs to tithe in order to put one's finances in order. I also understand that the Catholic Church does not teach that we are required to tithe. So, why is this being taught by Catholics? Should we believe that there are Biblical Principles in regard to managing money? Are there graces that come to us from almsgiving?
Old 2nd October 2009, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredcello View Post
I have a question about "biblical financial principles" as taught by Crown Ministries which was founded 30 years ago by Protestants:

http://crown.org/

When I was going through RCIA about 12 years ago, there was a couple at my parish who taught the 12-week course developed by Crown Ministries.

One of the key principles, I understand, is that one needs to tithe in order to put one's finances in order. I also understand that the Catholic Church does not teach that we are required to tithe. So, why is this being taught by Catholics? Should we believe that there are Biblical Principles in regard to managing money? Are there graces that come to us from almsgiving?

The Church teaches that the OT disciplines have been dispensed, in favor of NT disciplines. There has never been any NT discipline of tithing, not in the NT, not in the decretals (sets of papal decisions on discipline), not in the 1917 Canon Law, and not in the new code of Canon Law. It is as if these persons are teaching that we must be circumcised, or that we must follow the OT dietary practices.

I think that this idea of tithing come partly from Protestant influences, and partly from the desire of some parishes to have a more secure source of income from parishoners.

Almsgiving to those in need, and giving to support the Church, are part of the unchanging moral law (not a discipline). But there is no set percentage; we are to give freely and generously, but as grace and providence guides us. Yes, almsgiving is a source of grace.

Crown Ministries is a Protestant organization; they should not be permitted to teach in a Catholic parish. All Protestants are material heretics.
Old 9th October 2009, 05:19 AM
supporting member

Thank you for being so clear about this. It may sound harsh to say that Protestants are material heretics, but this is just what I needed to hear in order rid myself from Protestant thinking.

After I became Catholic, I was hoping to deepen my faith, but it took years before I discovered EWTN and later, Catholic Planet. In the meantime, I watched Protestant television programs with pastors who promoted the message of tithing. The health and wealth gospel that they preach isn't much different than New Age beliefs.
Old 9th October 2009, 12:44 PM
Administrator

The Protestants really have gone astray even from their own reformation roots. I don't recall anything like tithing in any of the works of the reformers. They would have been appalled at the idea of women pastors. They did not teach that contraception is moral. Homosexuality was not acceptable to them, and they never even considered the possibility of same-sex marriage.

But I think that this progressive movement away from the truths of the Bible on faith and morals is what will lead many Protestants back to the Catholic Faith. This is already clearly happening with the Anglicans. They have a split between more traditional Protestant thinking and modernist Protestant thinking. I believe that this will get worse after the Warning because some persons will reject repentance, and even some who initially repent, will later fall back into sin, even worse sins. So those who repent and remain repentant will gradually draw away from those others within Protestantism. And the repentant will naturally be drawn toward the one holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.
Old 9th October 2009, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post

Crown Ministries is a Protestant organization; they should not be permitted to teach in a Catholic parish. All Protestants are material heretics.

I didn't know that there were some parishes that allowed Protestants organizations to teach us. So now there are Protestants who are telling Catholics what to do?...unbelievable. What do those parishes think of T.S & M?...

Last edited by Brother : 9th October 2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 9th October 2009, 04:11 PM
supporting member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
I didn't know that there were some parishes that allowed Protestants organizations to teach us. So now there are Protestants who are telling Catholics what to do?...unbelievable. What do those parishes think of T.S & M?...

The married couple at my former Catholic parish who were teaching the course were actually Catholic. Crown Ministries is non-denominational. So, obviously, this couple took the course themselves and then decided it was so valuable that they wanted to teach it to other Catholics, and the pastor must have approved, because I recall hearing about it at a ministry fair.

Recently I saw an ad for Crown Ministries on Catholic News Agency, so it is still out there.

Catholic Answers Guide to Finances also recommends tithing. Now I wonder if this is due to Protestant influence and also because they want people to send more money to Catholic Answers. I stopped sending them money when I saw the Catholic Voter Guide that they were sending out during the last election.