CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th July 2009, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtarr View Post
Ron,

Please pardon my ignorance (and audacity) in asking about the CPDV. First, why did you undertake such a daunting task? And how is your translation different from others? Also, how did you accomplish the labor intensive task so quickly and still keep up the discussion group and your other writings? Are you first a Latin scholar and then an incredibly knowledgeable source of all things Catholic? Finally, will your translation have (or need) approval of the Church Fathers?

I wanted a conservative Catholic translation of the Bible, like the Douai Rheims, but in modern English, a translation that does not have politically-correct changes to the text, does not add gender inclusive language, a translation that would be in the public domain, so that anyone could use it without copyright permissions and so that it could be updated from time to time.

The CPDV is public domain, in modern English, based on the Clementine Latin Vulgate, translates the OT in the light of the NT, and both Testaments in the light of the Catholic Faith, emphasizes the spiritual level of meaning, is translated with the understanding that Scripture is the inerrant Word of God, does not omit verses and parts of verses (as other translations do), does not alter the text to be politically-correct, does not alter the text to be gender inclusive, is translated fairly literally.

Most modern English translations are loose, gender-inclusive, politically-corrected translations. The translators felt free to omit verses and parts of verses. The translators included persons who do not believe that the Bible is infallible, and also included some Protestants. Most modern translations are copyrighted. They attempt to translate the OT as it would have been understood (they claim) by a Jew in ancient times. They emphasize the historical meaning of the text and ignore the spiritual level of meaning. They do not translate the text in the light of Catholic teaching, nor in the light of Faith at all. They treat Scripture as an object of scholarly study.

It took just over 5 years to do the translation. This was possible because I worked on the translation nearly every day, 7 days a week. The use of computers permitted the translation to be done more quickly. Also, I used one main source text, the Clementine Vulgate (but consulted other texts), rather than attempting to evaluate many different manuscript sources.

I'm a Catholic theologian. I'm not a Latin scholar in general. My knowledge of Latin is mostly in the realm of Biblical Latin.

I'm not going to submit my translation for approval.
I don't think that Bible translations should need approval to be published.
Old 26th July 2009, 01:48 AM
supporting member

Default Thank you

Ron,

Thank you for the thorough answers to my questions. I understand more clearly what Scripture should do, and I marvel at your accomplishment. I look forward to now beginning to read The Bible (the CPDV in particular) with genuine understanding and appreciation.