CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th June 2009, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Default Noah's Flood

I saw an interesting TV show in which a researcher, W. Bruce Masse, suggested that Noah's flood was caused by a comet strike in the ocean. I'm not entirely convinced of this theory, but it is worth discussing.

Masse offers a date for the Flood based on a study of great flood legends in numerous cultures throughout the world, some of which mention conjunctions of planets/stars which can be dated: 2807 B.C. This date is within the general range of dates often suggested for the Flood.

Masse's theory supports the idea that the Flood was worldwide, with the comet strike in the ocean throwing a huge amount of water into the atmosphere, which later falls as rain around the world.

His theory is not really contradicted or specifically supported by the Scripture passage. It does have some problems. Such a large impact would likely cause climate problems, darkening the sky and decreasing temperatures worldwide, which is not an effect mentioned in the Bible story. The 40 day length of time seems too short for the effects of such a strike to clear (unless by a miracle).

There is another theory about the Flood, recently proposed, that it was just a local flood caused by the Black Sea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_deluge_theory
However, this idea is not compatible with the description in the Bible.

Last edited by Ron Conte : 31st July 2009 at 01:11 AM. Reason: corrected date
Old 10th June 2009, 02:08 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure about this, but I have read that there is a legend/story in the Chinese tradition that talks about a great flood and about one group of survivors also (if I find that information, I'll bring it here).

If this is indeed true, the possibility of a worldwide flood can be more truthful.
Old 11th June 2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
I'm not sure about this, but I have read that there is a legend/story in the Chinese tradition that talks about a great flood and about one group of survivors also (if I find that information, I'll bring it here).

If this is indeed true, the possibility of a worldwide flood can be more truthful.

You would be correct along those lines Brother. I once read a book regarding the "Search for Noah's Ark" which I borrowed from the local Public Library. In the preamble it mentions numerous ancient indigenous cultures around the world that can recall stories of a great flood.
Old 31st July 2009, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Note that the date given by Bruce Masse for the Flood is 2807 B.C.

I've been considering this date and comparing it to the text of Scripture.

Masse has the Flood occuring in the spring, as do many of the flood myths from various cultures. Scripture also places the flood in the spring.

Masse dates a conjunction of planets that occurred before the flood, according to some ancient cultures, in May 10, 2807 B.C.
I date the Flood to about May 13th, based on Scripture:

{7:11} In the six hundredth year of the life of Noah, in the second month, in the seventeenth day of the month [Iyyar 17, 954 A.M.], all the fountains of the great abyss were released, and the floodgates of heaven were opened.

And the end of the flood occurred one solar year later:

{8:14} In the second month, on the twenty-seventh day of the month [Iyyar 27, 955 A.M.], the earth was made dry. [May 13, 2806 B.C.]

Abraham was born in 2515 B.C.

Israel was in Egypt for 430 years:
2225 B.C. to 1795 B.C.

They were in the desert for 40 years:
1795 to 1755 B.C.

[1 Kings]
{6:1} Then it happened that, in the four hundred and eightieth year after the sons of Israel departed from the land of Egypt, in the fourth year of the reign of Solomon over Israel, in the month of Ziv, which is the second month, the house of the Lord began to be built.
[departed in 1795 B.C. / so 480 years later is 1315 B.C. ]

The Temple began to be built in 1315 B.C.

And if you count the generations and divide the time from David and Solomon to Joseph and Heli (St. Joachim)

25 generations from Solomon (0) to Joseph (25), husband of Mary.
52.6 years average length of generation

40 generations from David (0) to Heli (40), St. Joachim; father of Mary,
32.9 years average length of generation

So the length of time from the Flood, if it occurred in 2807 B.C., to the time of Christ is about the correct length of time.

The other hypothesis, that the Flood was a deluge of the Black Sea, places the Flood about 5600 B.C., which is thousands of years too early.